Tuesday, 17 March 2015

(sewn) cardigan - finished

I finished the cardigan and am really pleased with the way it turned out. This is the pattern I was using - view A, without pockets.

It's made with a bright pink sweatshirt fleece - knitted on the outside, fleecey (!) on the inside. I was right that it was a quick make - I got it all sewn up in one day.

These are the buttons I used. The bright pink didn't need a lift but these buttons certainly do the job!

There were a couple of things about the pattern that I wondered about.

Firstly, I cut 3" off the sleeve length and they still hang down over my hands. I don't know if it's because it's a unisex pattern but, surely, men don't have arms that long, do they??

The other thing that got me scratching my head is that I had to put interfacing on the neckband. Now, that's totally understandable knowing that the buttonholes and buttons will need more support than the fabric itself might give it. But, if I've ironed on interfacing to stabilise the neckband, how on earth and I expected to "stretch the neckband to fit the garment edge"? Weird!

Anyway, I will be wearing this a lot and, if my local shop ever gets any more sweatshirt fleece in, I might make another one too.

I was in said fabric shop today looking for some red material to make myself a skirt. They didn't have what I was looking for so I asked when it would be in stock again. I was told that, since they were doing a stocktake, they wouldn't be ordering any more fabric until the middle of April. What? A month before you even order it? That's just nuts. I feel an internet search coming on!

18 comments:

  1. That's adorable, much nice than a pullover sweatshirt. I really like the buttons too, a great choice. Interesting thoughts about the pattern; I think arm span (across the back, fingertip to fingertip) is supposed to be about the same as a man's height, so maybe they're taking very tall men into account? Ha. It's a good question. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right, Jennifer. It would make sense to make the sleeves long enough for a tall man! I need to find a man with an XL chest to see if his arms really are about 5" longer than mine! It conjures up quite a comical picture in my head! :oD

      Delete
  2. I love your cardi, and the buttons are super.
    I kmow what you mean about being frustrated by your local shop ...... I have been waiting for Fun2Do in Hawick getting in the shade of DMC thread that I need - I would prefer to shop local, but if they don't get it soon I will get it online (I can't get DMC thread at all in Berwick!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I would prefer to buy locally too but it's frustrating when they won't even be ordering more fabric (of any kind) until the middle of April. It just seems a bit short-sighted to me! *eyeroll*

      Delete
  3. I love it, and it's set off perfectly by the button. I've got a sweatshirt that I don't wear because the sleeves are way too long and the weight of the fabric makes it pull on my neck & shoulders leading to a headache. I bet I'd have enough fabric in it to convert it to a cardi - if I only knew how to go about it!! I will tackle a dressmaking project this year, I will tackle a dressmaking project this year ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you look on Pinterest or youtube, you'll be able to find a tutorial on how to change a sweatshirt into a cardigan? Might be worth a go if you're not getting the wear out of the sweatshirt as it is. :o)

      Delete
  4. It's lovely, nice and bright for spring and summer. I like my sleeves to finish just past my wrists, I hate them flopping down over my hands but the young ones seem to like long sleeves, the number of them I see walking about with their sleeves pulled right down, it looks like they haven't got any hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jo. I want my sleeves just as far as my wrists - not 5" over the end of my fingers! I'd look like a teenager if I wore it like that! LOL

      Delete
  5. Lovely. I think I might have to make one for myself - it looks like my kind of style. Pretty buttons, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's beautiful Anne! I love the pretty pink and those buttons are just perfect. Your seams look so pretty and flat -- did you use a serger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. No, I didn't use my overlocker - I just did a small zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine and then pressed the seams until they lay flat. :o)

      Delete
  7. This is so neat and tidy and the buttons suit it so well! It's a shame when shops do not stock items when we need them and we have to go to the internet to source things. Have a wonderful evening xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating, Chel. People always tell us that internet is killing the local shops and, whilst that is partly true, if they don't stock what we want, what other choice do we have?

      Delete
  8. What a lovely colour your cardigan is! I've just finished a pair of socks in a similar shade of pink (on my blog ;-) ) and I know I'll have happy feet when I wear them! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. I've just clicked through to your blog and the pink socks look amazing. Happy feet indeed! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)