Friday, 6 March 2015

leek and potato soup

Last night, for tea, we had home-made leek and potato soup. There was enough left for me to have at lunchtime today so I decided to take a photo of it.

It tastes as good as it looks - even if I do say so myself.

I made the recipe up as I went along but am not claiming it to be an original. I'm sure others have done the same as I did and ended up with delicious soup too.

Anyway, here's what I did.

Leek and Potato Soup

4 leeks, thoroughly cleaned and chopped into about ¼" slices
4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into about ½" dice
1 onion chopped (or, if you're like me, some frozen chopped onions)
2 chicken stock cubes
salt
boiling water

Melt some butter in a pan and add the chopped leeks, potatoes and onions.
Put the lid on the pan and leave the veg to sweat for about 10 minutes.
Dissolve the stock cubes in the boiling water and add to the pan to just cover the veg.
Add about 1 tsp of salt.
Bring to the boil and cook until the potatoes are soft - should be about 15 minutes.
Whizz with a hand blender or put it in a liquidiser.
If the soup is very thick, add more boiling water.

Eat with buttered oatcakes.

Delish! :o)

20 comments:

  1. haven't had oatcakes in years............should look and see if we can find them over here in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you can get them, Gill. I think they're a perfect accompaniment for all sorts of soups - and cheese! :o)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is, Cheryl. I was disappointed when it was finished! :oD

      Delete
  3. ...oh yum! That would be perfect for this chilly day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would, Freda. Or any hot soup! :oD

      Delete
  4. Its sounds good! I love leek and potato soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, Kristie. :o)

      Delete
  5. It looks delicious. We're not big soup eaters so it's something I rarely make but you've made my mouth water with this, I may have to make some soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love soup. I could eat it all winter! :o)

      Delete
  6. Snap! Made some at lunchtime today - something really comforting about good old leek and potato! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny that you made it too, Jane! I bet it was delish too! :o)

      Delete
  7. Thanks Anne, another one I can add to my recipe book and perhaps convince my veggie daughter to give a try.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Ali. I hope you and your daughter enjoy the soup! :o)

      Delete
  8. All homemade soup is delicious, but this is one of the nicest isn't it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, thanks for the recipe. I've always wanted to try making it, ever since I tried it from a Knorr packet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jennifer. I hope you like it! :o)

      Delete
  10. Like anybody even vaguely Scottish , I don't think you can beat a good bowl of soup . This warms me up , just looking at it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've just taken some out of the freezer for tonight's tea - can't wait! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)