Tuesday, 3 March 2015

brown trousers and a big repair job

I made myself a pair of brown trousers using my old, long out-of-print, favourite trouser pattern, Simplicity 5844.

Not much to show on a pair of trousers unless you're wearing them which I'm clearly not! :oD

On all my trousers hangers, I hang a wee label so that, in the dark winter mornings, when it's hard to tell brown from black or navy, it's easy to identify the pair I want to wear.

My next big project is to mend Debbie's patchwork bedspread which I made back sometime in the 1990s.

It's been so well used, it's falling to bits.

I tried to persuade her just to throw it in the bucket but she wasn't for having that! So yesterday I made a start to unpicking it and ripping it apart. (The bedspread isn't quilted - I would never have tackled this if I'd had to undo quilting stitches!)

Out of the original 72 blocks, 19 of them are beyond repair.

So I cut out some fabrics.

Put them into groups of 3.

And started sewing more blocks.

I've now made 10 - only 9 more to go. That I know of. I suspect, when I try to sew the new to the old, I'll find a few more that need replaced. *sigh*

14 comments:

  1. I admire your commitment to getting the project done. Well done on making the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a sign of a quilt that is really well loved!!! I think it is wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. It's a bit of a pain to fix so I hope it doesn't take me too long!

      Delete
  3. What a great tip labelling the hangers. That's obviously a much loved quilt, too precious to part with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The labels definitely make it easier in the dark mornings to find the right colour of trousers! :o)

      Delete
  4. Wow Anne -- you're brave -- tackling that quilt looks like a big job. Seems like it would be easier just to start a new one. I know ... doesn't have the sentimental attachment -- I think it's wonderful that she wants to keep the original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Anna. In a way, I would definitely have preferred starting from scratch. But, as you say, sentimental attachment and all that!

      Delete
  5. What a good tip about labeling the hangers! And that is definitely a labour of love repairing/remaking the quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my hanger labels - they've saved me wearing the wrong colours on a few occasions! :oD

      I'm not so sure about a labour of love but repairing the quilt is certainly a labour.

      Delete
  6. You are a wonderful mother to go through all of that to remake the quilt. She'll love it even more now. I really like your tag system for your slacks, that's such a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fact you label your hangers. I often think I should have a light in my wardrobe so I can see what I'm looking for. Oh I love Debbie's quilt, I can really understand that she didn't want to part with it.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A light in the wardrobe would be a great idea, Ali. Mind you, I discovered this morning that it was a lot easier to read the labels if I put my spex on! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)