Wednesday, 4 February 2015

My Lady Skater Dress

I swithered for a long time about getting the Lady Skater Dress pattern. I had it on my "I wonder if I'd like that" list for a while, then I took it off, then I'd see someone else on the internet talking about how wonderful the dress was to make and wear and I'd put it back on the list again.

I finally decided to ask Santa Claus for the pattern and then, if it didn't look good on me, it wouldn't be my fault because *I* hadn't bought the pattern. Convoluted thinking or what? LOL

Anyway, I asked Douglas if he would take photos of me wearing the dress as the ones I took of myself yesterday were so awful. So here's how the dress looks on me.

I have no idea what I was laughing at but this shot shows the spotty design on the fabric - red and orange and white.

Here it is with a scarfy thing I made to go with it. It's a red polyester mix fabric I found in the coat fabric section of my local fabric shop. The label said it had elastene in it but there's no stretch in the fabric whatsoever so I suspect that the label might not have been telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth! Anyway, it goes well with the red spots on the dress and binding it with some of the leftover dress fabric was genius, if I do say so myself!

As I was tidying up the sewing room this morning, I found the strip of fleece cut off from the piece I bought for the back of the rainbow quilt. The bright orange goes well with the orange spots on the dress so I just straightened it up and cut a few fringes in the end and called it another scarf to go with my new dress!

I have to agree with others that the dress is really easy to make - no zips, no buttons, no fastenings, just choose your size, cut it out and sew it together. It's also very comfortable. I already have fabric lined up to make another one. Well, of course I have! LOL

Just a few notes (mostly to remind myself!) about what I changed on the pattern:
I lengthened the skirt part by 2".
I lifted the back neck by 2".
I made a short sleeve by cutting the sleeve where the page join on the pdf was.
I didn't add a cuff to the sleeve - just turned it up about ½" and sewed it with my twin needle.

17 comments:

  1. Anne you look great in the dress, it really suits you. Douglas has very good taste in patterns :) I am going to have to invest in this pattern. I have bought lots of dresses in this style and I'm sure it would be cheaper to make my own.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ali, it's honestly the easiest dress pattern I've ever made. As I said, no zips, no buttons, no fastenings but also, because it's a knit fabric, no seam finishing either! Yay! :o)

      Delete
  2. Those style of dresses are so easy to wear! I have worn through about 3 from Evans, so to know there is a pattern that looks good to make is wonderful!
    And I think it was worth waiting for the photographer to take the shots; you look good. I love the scarves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jem. Yes, Douglas's photos are much better than the ones I took. Mind you, mine were so awful, it would have been hard for him to take anything worse! LOL

      Delete
  3. The dress looks good on you and the scarves are brilliant too. I hope you don't mind me saying this, but it's really nice to see a pattern made up to fit a woman not a twiglet. Since I started sewing 2 years ago I've many things, from bags to oven gloves to quilts but never clothing. I'm a size 18 and all the stuff I've seen on blogs is worn by girls who can't possibly be more than a size 10 and so I'm reluctant to have a go at making anything for myself. I was given the Collete Crepe dress pattern for Crimbo and would like to try but ..... You give me hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, I don't mind you saying it at all. I completely agree with you. You should check out the curvy collective - http://curvysewingcollective.com/. It's a website for, well, the curvier sewers out there. I also love idlefancy.com. I'm sure you'll enjoy both those sites because the girls on there are definitely not twiglets! ;o)

      Delete
  4. It's lovely and really suits you, you must be really pleased with it. The scarves look good with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - the dress looks even better on! Stunning! I might have to make one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. I can help you with it - if you need help. :o)

      Delete
  6. The dress looks super, as do the scarves! I coud almost be tempted to make one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I made the scarves so that I can wear the dress in the winter time - I don't like having my neck bare in this cold weather! :o)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic!! It looks really good on you Anne and I like the scarf additions too! I can imagine you making lots more of these dresses for yourself! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I have one more fabric lined up and, you never know, I might have to get me another couple! I wonder how I could sneak those into the house without Douglas seeing them? :oD

      Delete
  8. Haha -- you're so cute! That new dress looks great on you Anne. And you're right -- pure genius on that binding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dress is really lovely. The orange scarf goes so well with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)