Friday, 20 February 2015

back in the groove

I've finally kicked that flu bug into touch so I got some "real" sewing done this week.

First is Simplicty 1590 - a Retro 1940s pattern.

I had made a start to this before I got the flu so it was just a case of finishing it off.

This isn't a great photo but it shows the peplum at the back.

Now, whilst this looks amazing on Diana the dummy, it doesn't look so good on me. The peplum at the back sticks out more than I'd like (I'm blaming the fabric as my bum is one of the few places on my body that does not stick out! LOL) so I'm going to see if I can take that off and replace it with a not-so-sticky-ooty piece instead. Fingers crossed!

Next is the Grainline Archer shirt which I have admired all over blogland in recent months. I bought the pattern near the end of last year and finally got mine made this week. This is me trying it on before I cut the buttonholes and finished off all the threads.

And me wearing it today.

I did wonder if the stripey buttons were a bit over the top with all that striping thing going on but I decided they're perfect for it.

All in all a very comfy shirt and I see myself making many more of these.

I've been working on a ripple blankie for a few weeks now. I started with the intentions of only using shades of blues, greens and purples but I got the urge to use a yarn that changed colour which is adding those oranges and yellows into the mix. I'm loving the way it's looking.

Next a happy purchase. Joanna and I went out to Matalan this morning as I had a 20% discount card which I wanted to make good use of. I'm very pleased with my purchases!

I'm a great believer in, if you find something that you like, buy it/them in all the colours you like too. So I did. That 20% discount took £4.80 off the price - not to be sneezed at! Now I need the weather to warm up so I can get some wear out of them but I suspect I'll have a good few months to wait for that to happen!

Finally, I got the most lovely parcel this week from Amy at love made my home . She e-mailed me last week (when I had the flu) saying that she wanted to send me something for helping her get her blog button working. I joked with her that she didn't need to send me anything - the way I was feeling, I'd be happy with a piece of string. So that's what she sent me!

But she also sent me a fabulous book, a gorgeous teatowel and a beautiful pack of notelets.

I've already thanked Amy but I don't think you can say it enough. Thank you, Amy. I love everything so much - especially the wee bit string! :oD

24 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're feeling better, Anne. Your blouses are so nice, I love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely of Amy, it's nice to feel so appreciated, isn't it? Glad you're feeling better and that you've got your sewing mojo back, you've certainly made up for the time you spent away from the machine. Both lovely blouses, and I think the stripey buttons are fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It feels good to be back at my sewing machine again! :o)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you're feeling better! And what a lovely gift; that string is so pretty, you can use it for so much ;o)
    The sewing looks good! I love the retro blouse. I used to love wearing those nipped in waists (when I had a waist; alas no more!)
    Have a good week, and enjoy the return to wellness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jem. I don't have a waist to speak of either. And I don't see it coming back any time soon. Oh well. :oD

      Delete
  4. Great that you've kicked that rotten bug Anne! Mine's just about finishing - all in time to go back to school on Monday (grrrrrrrr). I'm envious of anyone who can do buttonholes - and as for peplums ... well now madam I've come over all faint! What a lovely gift from Amy - she's a star x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy is a star. It certainly made my week when the postie brought me such a fab parcel from her! It's funny (as in annoying) how teachers always get ill during their holidays. I know it always happened to me back in the day!

      Delete
  5. Such lovely things Anne! I think that the blouses are great and am again in awe of your sewing skills! Your ripple is coming alone well, don't you just love it when they get to the size that you can snuggle under then while working on them!! Thank you for your thanks, really no need! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. The ripple is at a lovely stage - right down to my ankles when I'm working on it now. :o)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you've been busy - you're making up for all the time you were out with the flu. Love the shirts, love the shoes and love the blankie. And that was so nice of Amy - how sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That flu has a lot to answer for. Days and days and days not being able to do any sewing! Aaaargh!!

      Delete
  7. As always, super sewing. I love the stripey buttons - a nice finishing touch. What lovely goodies from Amy - she is a real sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I debated with myself for a while about using the stripey buttons but they're fun so why not, eh? :o)

      Delete
  8. Wow Anne, you are just so good at sewing that I think you should be on The Great British Sewing Bee, a series which we finally get here in Oz about a year later than you. I really enjoy it. Love the ripple rug. Is there anything you can't do? It must be lovely getting a surprise parcel. Take care and keep well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Susan, I'd *never* put myself forward for the Sewing Bee. Yes, I can do everything that they do (not that I'd want to sew chiffon like they did this week!) but my back wouldn't let me do it. I couldn't even think about sewing for 6 hours straight. Eeek!

      Delete
  9. More wonderful makes Anne! I agree with Susan above, you should be on the Great British Sewing Bee! The parcel from the lovely Amy is great, I love the string!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chel. I'd never put myself up for the Sewing Bee - I'm happy watching other people put themselves through it, though!

      Delete
  10. Haha -- that Amy is a funny girl -- love the string. I'm happy you're feeling better too. Love that stripey shirt -- it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your stripey shirt, and I think the buttons are great - no such thing as too much in my book! Fab shoes, as well. I'm with you on buying something in all the different colours, I have three pairs of very similar shoes from Peacocks a couple of summer ago - in red, black and blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Matalan had those sandals in black as well but I resisted those ones - for now, anyway. Knowing me, I might find myself buying those too! LOL

      Delete
  12. I am a new follower to you blog. I love that striped shirt you made, really lovely. Also love the owl fabric in your header photo.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gill. Lovely to have you here! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)