Monday, 16 February 2015

award-winning!

I was nominated for the Liebster blogging award by my blogging friend Jo, at through the keyhole. Thanks, Jo. I really appreciate it!

The "rules" of the Liebster award are that I have to tell you 11 random facts about myself. Then answer the 11 questions that my nominator asked. And then nominate 11 blogs that I read for the award.

I'm going to do the first two parts but not the third. As you'll see from my list of random facts about me, I don't obey rules very well! ;o)

11 random facts about me:
1. I have psoriatic arthritis - in remission at the moment.
2. I can't drink alcohol because of the medicines I take for the above but it doesn't bother me in the slightest!
3. Nora Roberts is my favourite author. If I was marooned on a desert island and I had all her series with me, I'd be a happy bunny.
4. I would like the play the piano better than I can - must get it tuned first, though!
5. I don't obey rules very well. If you tell me I must do something, I'll be trying to find a way not to do it. And vice versa!
6. Douglas and I have been married for 35 years - 36 in September. He looked after me so well last week when I had the flu, it just made me love and appreciate him all the more!
7. I love chips - as in French Fries.
8. Apparently, we have 61 drawers in this house - Douglas counted them at one point. Every New Year I think this will be the year I'll go through all of those drawers and get rid of stuff. I've been thinking of doing that for 5 or more years now! :oD
9. I'm happiest in my own house. Last week, when I was ill, I didn't go out of the house from Friday 6th until Friday 13th. That didn't bother me in the slightest!
10. I sing in a choir and I love it. There are only 21 of us in the choir but we make a good sound.
11. I can sit for a very long time trying to think of an 11th random fact. I think it's going to have to be "I give up when I can't think of something else"! :oD

Now on to the 11 questions Jo asked.

1) If your house was on fire, what one thing, other than family members and pets, would you save?
My sewing machine and as much of my fabric stash as I could grab!

2) What, other than your children, is your greatest achievement?
Going to university and getting some letters after my name. B.A. Dip. Ed. to be precise!

3) What would be your dream job and is it a job you do or have done?
I would love to work in a fabric shop again. Or a book shop. Or a combination of both. I've worked in a fabric shop before.

4) What is your dream holiday destination?
I would like to go back to see the Grand Canyon again. We were there in 2006 and it really is one of those jaw-dropping places and well worth another visit. I wouldn't go out on the glass platforms they now have over the gorge, though. No way, no how!

5) If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you bought?
Knowing me, probably fabric! LOL

6) Name your top three films of all time.
It really depends on my mood but I love "You've Got Mail", "The Fifth Element" and "The Count of Monte Cristo". (The Jim Caviezel version ... yum!)

7) If you could have a conversation with a famous person, dead or alive, who would it be?
I'd like to meet and chat with May Martin from the Great British Sewing Bee. Just talking to someone who loves sewing as much as I do would be inspiring, I think. And, if she brought Patrick Grant along too, I wouldn't complain! ;o)

8) What is your earliest childhood memory?
Going out to tea with my Auntie Anna and her family before they emigrated to Australia. They went in 1959 so I must have been 4 years old.

9) What is your favourite season and why?
I like them all for different reasons. I love the fresh newness of spring, the warm days of summer (if we're lucky), the colours and smells of autumn and the cold crispness of winter. These photos were taken in 2011.

10) What made you decide to start a blog?
My daughter, Debbie, was heading out to Canada to live for a while and she told me I should write a blog so she could keep up with what we were all doing. I started it in July, 2008 so nearly 7 years ago. Apparently, I have a lot to blether about! :oD

11) What would you like the future to hold for you?
Health and happiness for us and our girls ... and, maybe a few grandchildren ... eventually! ;o)

Thanks for nominating me, Jo. If you don't know Jo, go and read her blog. She's an inspiration - and her dog, Archie, always reminds me of our wee Rosie. :o)

23 comments:

  1. How interesting. I've learned a lot about you, you like one of my fav films & author, The Fifth Element and Nora, you're a mere 5 years older than me and we both love chips - well who doesn't? I enjoy reading your blog, seeing your cakes & scones and the clothes you make. Thank you for making it a fun moment before work starts for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lists! I have this to do yet, but it will have to wait until later.
    I love the cartoon about the stash in the oven. I was feeling smug about not having a stash.... until I opened a box upstairs and found a whole load!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers - and random facts! You should be very proud of your degree achievement!! Now, if you get to meet May and Patrick comes along, can I come too! I promise, I will just sit quietly and look at him!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Of course you can come, Amy. I'm sure Patrick wouldn't mind you drooling over him! :oD

      Delete
  4. Thank you for accepting the award and joining in and answering my questions. I enjoyed reading all your answers and I'm going to have to go and count all the drawers in my house now, I know I don't have 61 but I have quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when Douglas told me how many we had. No wonder the idea of tidying them is off-putting! :oD
      Thanks again for nominating me, Jo. :o)

      Delete
  5. Glad you accepted the award, you have such an interesting blog. Part of the reason I blog is that our daughter is living in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely to read more about you. These awards are so hard to answer sometimes, but your answers are fun. Congratulations xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chel. It always takes me longer than I think it will to answer the questions. And thinking of 11 random things about me was so hard! :o)

      Delete
  7. I love posts like this! Now I am worried that I don't know how many drawers we have in the house. And if May brings Patrick along, I'll llok after him for you (after I have locked Amy in a cupboard!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I wonder if Patrick will mind you ladies fighting over him? I bet he's used to it! :oD

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed reading your facts. How talented, playing the piano, you are obviously really musical with the choir also. I wasn't surprised to see Nora Roberts there, I always spot her in your sidebar. Gosh you have a lot drawers, it made me wonder how many we have.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the thing is, I can barely play the piano. Anything with more than 3 sharps or flats and I have no hope! I really would like to be better but it might be just a pipe dream. :o)

      Delete
  9. Great a answers Anne and now I'll have to get stuck into doing mine as Jo nominated me as well. It's lovely getting to know you a bit more and now I know why you seem to achieve so much with all those talents. Aha, you were a teacher? Thanks for all that and take care. PS Hope you are feeling much better as that bug seems to have swept through UK, from what I hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a teacher, Susan. A Maths teacher. And, yes, both Douglas and I are much better now, thanks. Still coughing and spluttering but a lot better than we were this time last week!

      Delete
  10. Lovely to find out more about you. Jo also nominated me so I did my post with the answers yesterday. I'll have to work out how to put the Liebster award badge on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are FAB at the piano - much better than I could ever dream of being. Liked the answers, mama. No grandchildren just yet but I have given you a grandpuppy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And congrats for the award! :D

      Delete
    2. I'm not fab at the piano ... but I could be better if I did some playing now and again! Thanks for the congrats ... and for the grandpuppy! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)