Tuesday, 27 January 2015

the rainbow quilt - first progress report

Here's my first progress report of the rainbow quilt I "designed" the other day. I'm putting "designed" in inverted commas because I don't think, for one minute, that this pattern is new.

First I picked out some fat quarters:

Then I cut them into strips or squares. I decided on 6¾" blocks (finished size) so my strips are 7¼" x 2¾" (cut size) and the wee squares for the second border are cut at 2¾". This should make the finished quilt 54" square - or thereabouts.

This is the pile of blocks waiting to get their second strip sewn on:

These are the blocks all sewn and pressed.

And this is the centre square all sewn together.

Oh. My. Goodness. I absolutely love it. Love. It!

On to the borders next. Then I need to see about fleece for the backing. I can't wait to get this one finished. I love it so much. (I might have said that already! :oD)

12 comments:

  1. Wow I am so impressed with how quick your cracking on with the quilt. The colours look fantastic together.
    I can't wait to see it finished. It will certainly brighten up our dull days.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. I'm having a lovely time sewing all these bright colours - I think that's why it's going together so quickly! :o)

      Delete
  2. Its beautiful and so fast, would take me weeks to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Poppy. I'm really enjoying making this quilt! :o)

      Delete
  3. Good heavens, you're making quick progress on this one! It's just as lovely in reality as it was on paper 😊
    Happy quilting! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gilly. It's been easy to put together mostly, I think, because I'd drawn it all out properly to start with - not just a quick sketch and a "I hope this works!". :o)

      Delete
  4. Wow, you don't hang around when you get an idea in your head. I can see why though, I'd want that quilt NOW. It's looking fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. Everything else has been abandoned in favour of sewing this quilt. :oD

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous Anne, so bright and breezy it must be making you think of summer picnics already. Can't believe what you get done in a day, you're amazing. Keep it going and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I think my back is glad I had an appointment out of the house this afternoon otherwise I probably would have kept on going until I'd finished it - and, more than likely, given myself a very, very sore back in the process! :o)

      Delete
  6. Wow Anne!! What speedy and pretty work! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)