Tuesday, 20 January 2015

3 days

I worked at it for 3 days. What, you might ask? The FBA (full bust adjustment) for the Burda shirt pattern I showed in the last post.

Oh, not 3 days non-stop. But 3 days of thinking about it. 3 days of puzzling over it. 3 days of drawing it out on paper. 3 days of making a muslin from a sheet, trying the muslin on, realising it hadn't worked and going back to square one and starting all over again. Twice.

Then this morning I began to wonder. What am I doing all this messing around for? Is this particular blouse pattern any better than a previous pattern that I know fits me? Why am I bothering with this nonsense? Why am I tearing my hair out over this blinking thing???

I then went to my wardrobe and dug out the shirt I'd made before and, yes, I love it. Yes, it fits me. Yes, I'd wear it again if I made more.

So.

The 2 muslins have been tossed into a crate to be ripped apart and re-used for something else. The 2 paper patterns with all the new darts and adjustments on them were tossed into the waste paper bin. The pattern was folded tidily into its envelope and will be listed on eBay as soon as I get it photographed. I am done with that nonsense!

I feel liberated. As if a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. How ridiculous is that? Sewing is meant to be enjoyable. Not a chore or a task or something that takes me 3 days and I end up back where I started with no blouse to show for all that effort.

So.

Tomorrow I am going to cut out a shirt using my old pattern.

And I'm going to have fun doing it. Yes. I. Am!!

14 comments:

  1. Good for you. No point shedding sweat and tears over something that's meant to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stick to what you know, that's what my son would say. Your right sewing should be fun. I really like this pattern your using and it's good to know it will fit properly. I have to say you have some patience, I think I'd have binned it after the first muslin.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it's patience or - more likely - I'm just too stubborn to give in! I'm going to take your son's advice and stick to what I know!

      Delete
  3. Tee hee, Anne - your post has given me a good giggle...Go You! :-)
    I think that's why I tend to make sooo many of the same pattern - if you like the style and it fits perfectly, why not.
    Happy sewing tomorrow!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same - usually. That's why, once I've found a pattern that fits which I like, I'll make umpteen versions of it! :o)

      Delete
  4. I admire your tenacity, but also admire that you admitted defeat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had much more fun in my sewing room today than I've had since I started messing with that other pattern.

      Delete
  5. Good for you. Life's too short to be bothered about making clothes that fit the boobies when you've already got patterns for clothes that fit the boobies just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Life's definitely too short for messing with FBAs for 3 days!!

      Delete
  6. I'm proud of you, Anne. You know your limits and you stopped when it wasn't fun anymore. You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you Anne!! If you are not happy doing something there seems little point in doing it to me. I hope you will enjoy making the new shirt with the old pattern! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I am enjoying the old pattern. And the fact that I know it will fit me when I'm finished is keeping me going! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)