Friday, 26 September 2014

13 + 19 and another pinafore

I finished off the dumpling pouches I was making.

All 13 of them.

I wonder why I can never seem to make things one at a time?

Talking of which - I made 19 pinnies this week! This is them waiting to be ironed.

Then I got back to some dressmaking. I decided to make myself another pinafore dress like the denim one I made here. It just needs the hem and buttons and buttonholes done and it'll be ready to wear. Just in time for the cooler weather.

Saturday, 20 September 2014

baking, sewing etc

I don't seem to have blogged "properly" for a wee while so, yet again, I have to rely on my camera to tell me what I've been up to.

First of all, I baked: crunchy cookies - recipe below.

And sultana cookies - recipe here:

I folded all my summer clothes up ready to go into the suitcase under the bed. They've been like that for about 2 weeks now. It's not hard to pull the suitcase out from under the bed ... I just haven't done it yet!

I got myself some new patterns in the Simplicity half price sale.

I've got some dumpling bags on the go - free pattern and tutorial here.

Joanna made us a chocolate cake for our anniversary. It was delicious!

She also made up a date night basket for us.

Needless to say the chocolates are all gone but the rest is waiting for us to decide on our choice of movies to watch.

Here's the recipe for the crunchy cookies. Before we were married (35 years ago last Monday!) I went to cooking classes which were called "Budget Cookery". I could cook and bake - my mum taught me well! - but I thought it would be good to learn some new things and maybe, as a young wife, be able to do it without spending too much money. I still use a lot of the recipes I learned and this is one of them.

CRUNCHY COOKIES

6 oz marg/butter
4 oz soft brown sugar
8 oz plain flour
¼ level tsp salt
demerara sugar for covering

Set oven to 160ºC

Beat marg and sugar together until soft. Sieve in half the flour and salt. Blend together and then add the rest of the flour. Roll into a sausage.

Sprinkle a piece of foil with demerara sugar, place sausage on it. Roll so that the outsides are evenly covered in the sugar, adding extra if needed. Place in the fridge for 30 mins to firm up.

Slice into ¼” slices. Bake for about 15 - 20 mins. Leave on trays for about 5 - 10 minutes then cool on a wire rack.

Monday, 15 September 2014

coral or jade

Apparently, a 35th wedding anniversary is either a coral anniversary or a jade anniversary. All I can say is it's a long time since this photo was taken.

And yet, it also doesn't feel that long. Here's to the next 35 years, Douglas. I love you! :o)

Monday, 8 September 2014

bindings, sleeves, trousers and a top

After I finished the blue diagonal quilt, I was about to put the piece of blue/green stripey fabric I'd used for the binding back in the pile when I thought I might just cut what little I had left into 2½" strips and make more binding. Then I got the idea that I might do the same with a few other fabrics.

After a bit of joining and pressing then neatly rolling them up, I have a decent collection of possible quilt bindings. Just looking at these makes me happy!

My next wee job was to shorten the sleeves of the white shirt with the pussycat buttons I made earlier this year. To be honest, I don't know why I made it with long sleeves - I'd rather wear short sleeves with a cardigan than long sleeves any day!

I wore the adapted short-sleeved blouse yesterday and it is much more useful now so I know it'll get worn a lot.

Next I made some navy trousers. I used a pattern I've used many, many times before -

This time I made view E which are narrower in the leg than view D. Very comfy trousers.

My next project is to make this top - view B but with short sleeves (shown top right on the pattern).

First of all I made a copy of the pattern front so that I could do a full bust adjustment. This is the amended front piece before I trimmed it properly.

I've been sewing it today but it's not finished yet so I haven't been able to try it on. My fingers are tightly crossed that it works out well. :o)