Tuesday, 2 December 2014

scarves, scraps and dresses

A few things to catch up on around here. First, I knitted myself this scarf back in September. The pattern is from here. Today's the first day it's been cold enough to wear it! Our weather is being weird!

I'm now in the process of knitting one for Joanna. Hers is already a good bit longer than mine. I really should ask her if it's long enough yet!

This is my third incarnation of the Cressida skirt. Previous versions are here and here. It's a really dark navy with a light blue pinstripe. It's just as comfy as the other two I've made.

Last week, we went out to the craft & patchwork shop along the coast from us. I only ever buy things from their sale boxes. I love the feeling that I'm getting a bargain! Here are some Christmas scraps.

And some "normal" scraps.

And some fat quarter bargains.

I don't have any definite plans for these at the moment but I'm fine with that. I'll just admire them then put them away in the appropriate piles until it's time to use them! :oD

I decided I needed to do a trial run of the dress for Joanna so I cut it out of a (wildly) green sheet.

I didn't have enough to the green to make the sleeves so they were made with a pink sheet. I didn't think it would be easy for Joanna to pin herself into the dress to test the fit so I used some pink buttons. It's a shame the green is so wild because it really does make a nice dress.

Today I got a dress for myself cut out. It's going to be the same dress as I made in July (blogged about here) which fits me so well.

I also got the "real" dress cut out for Joanna but didn't get any photos of that. Hopefully, because I've made both of the dresses before, they'll go together quickly because I have a few "blanks" I need to make before Christmas so I really should be getting on with those!

14 comments:

  1. The scarf pattern is lovely. Don't tell Joanna but I love your scarf colours more than hers. : ) What wonderful fabrics you've brought home, it looks like Christmas has come early for you. I had a peek at the dress, I remember it and you looked lovely in it. Can't wait to see this new one. If Joanna goes out wearing that green and pink dress it will certainly brighten up the dull winter days.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. I think people would need to wear sunglasses if Joanna went out in that dress - and she would definitely need to wear thermals! LOL

      Delete
  2. You have a lot going on! Those scarves are beautiful! I love the way the colors seem to blend as they run along the length of the scarf. Your sewing is looking great too; that skirt is adorable! I think maybe it shows a little bit of leg? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn I used in the scarves changes colour by itself - thankfully. Sewing in ends is not a favourite thing of mine! The skirt finishes just on my knees so not too much leg on view! :oD

      Delete
  3. You're always so busy, I don't know where you find the time for everything you do, I think you must have steam coming out of your ears. The scarves are lovely, we had our first proper frost this morning so I think it's time to dig one out myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. We had to scrape the cars this morning so the scarf will get a lot of wear now, I think! :o)

      Delete
  4. Anne! You're putting us all to shame by making "trial" clothes. Some of us can't even eek our the "real" clothes LOL! Very pretty scarves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I don't usually make muslins but I wanted to be sure Joanna liked the dress before making it in the "real" material. Thankfully she does! :o)

      Delete
  5. Love the scarves!! I agree with Thimbleanna that you are putting us to shame with your trial-run sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. As I said to Anna, I don't usually do muslins but it seemed like a good idea on this occasion. :o)

      Delete
  6. Those scarves are so pretty and your bargain fabric. Our weather here in Oz has also been pretty weird of late. Oh, clothes sewing and I don't seem to happen much anymore, so well done you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. We had some frost this morning so maybe winter has decided to arrive now. Mind you, there are still some people going about in shorts! Nutters! LOL

      Delete
  7. I am sure that you will find lots of lovely things to make with your fabrics Anne!! I hope that you enjoy the dressmaking and that the test dress was a good fit! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dress fits Joanna beautifully so that makes the making of the "real" one less daunting. :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)