Wednesday, 1 October 2014

The Assembly Rooms - Edinburgh

On Saturday morning, we headed out to Edinburgh to take advantage of the doors open day. Quoting from the Doors Open Day website:

"Doors Open Days give you free access to hundreds of fascinating buildings across Scotland. Every weekend in September you can explore places that are normally closed to the public. Some open up once a year, some just once in a lifetime. This is your chance to discover the architecture, design, buildings, places and spaces right on your doorstep or explore a new part of the country."

We (I) decided that we would go in the train to avoid parking issues. As we headed over the Forth Bridge, I took this photo of the Forth Road Bridge. The green arrows are pointing to 2 of the towers the new Forth Crossing which is due to open in 2016.

Our destination was The Assembly Rooms on George Street in Edinburgh. We were not disappointed!

My favourite room was the Ballroom. I so wanted to be there in a floaty Georgian dress! This view to the left as you walk in the doors:

And this is the view to the right. Yes, it is enormous!!

I took lots of photos of ceilings. I can't remember which goes with which room so let's just admire them!

A potted history of the Assembly Rooms.

This is the Music Hall:

We then took part in a Georgian Etiquette Class. The ladies were given fans and taught some of the language of fans. I don't have any photos of that as I was busy concentrating so that I would know what to do when I attend my next ball in the Ballroom! :oD

The men were given lessons in cravat tying. Douglas did very well - for a first attempt - without a valet! LOL The man behind Douglas in this photo came up from Manchester especially to come to the Assembly Rooms. That's dedication for you!

Next several of the audience were chosen to be shown how to get in and out of a coach. Douglas became the Duke of Dunedin (for about 15 minutes!). He, naturally, got the best seat in the coach.

The photo I took of all the participants in the "coach" was so fuzzy, even I didn't know who was who! But I did manage to get a photo of the chap from Manchester in his alter-ego role as coachman and his horse! LOL

The ladies were taught how to curtsey (no photos of that) and the men were shown how to bow. The man behind Douglas is a bit better at bowing than Douglas but then, his alter-ego was a dancing instructor! :oD

All in all it was a facinating visit and a lovely day out. :o)

20 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place to visit, sounds as though you had great fun!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun and a very interesting / educational venture. The architecture is amazing there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jeanna. I could hardly take my eyes off the ceilings! :oD

      Delete
  3. How fabulous, and what a great day out especially with the activities to bring it alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the etiquette lessons. I now know what to do with my fan to encourage/discourage a man! Mind you, with Douglas being a Duke, it looks like I've already hit the jackpot! LOL

      Delete
  4. It was such a great day out. Fab photos! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trip to Lakeland was fun too! LOL

      Delete
  5. How fascinating. Reminds me of the fabulous novels by Georgette Heyer - I love them and now have a better idea of their setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was kind of expecting/hoping for Mr Darcy to appear! :oD

      Delete
  6. I love these days where you can see buildings which are usually closed to the public. It's great that you got to visit The Assembly Rooms but it looks like a great effort was put in to making it so much more than just looking round, well done to them. I love those ceilings, it just goes to show what you miss if you don't look up once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Assembly Rooms aren't normally open to the public. You can book them for an event but I suspect your husband would really need to be a Duke to be able to afford them! LOL

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It was a fun day, Janet. It helped that the weather was glorious so the walk to and from the station wasn't awful as it would be if it had been raining! :o)

      Delete
  8. It looks like you had a wonderful day. The detail in the rooms is beautiful. I don't blame you going by train. I think it's always less stressful when no one has to drive.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a good day, Ali. I'm so glad it was last weekend and not this weekend. The forecast is appalling!

      Delete
  9. Such a fantastic place! I love the ceilings and the cornicing. I've heard of the open days down in London (missed them this year) but will be going next year - or shall I take a different direction and head up to Scotland?!! Have a great week (don't forget your brolly!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had loads of rain today but brollies weren't advisable as it was exceedingly windy too. Ahh, the joys of British weather! :oD

      Delete
  10. Oh how FUN!!! I would love to do something like that. Do you have your curtsey down pat now???

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Of course. I can even do it without falling over! :oD

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)