Monday, 8 September 2014

bindings, sleeves, trousers and a top

After I finished the blue diagonal quilt, I was about to put the piece of blue/green stripey fabric I'd used for the binding back in the pile when I thought I might just cut what little I had left into 2½" strips and make more binding. Then I got the idea that I might do the same with a few other fabrics.

After a bit of joining and pressing then neatly rolling them up, I have a decent collection of possible quilt bindings. Just looking at these makes me happy!

My next wee job was to shorten the sleeves of the white shirt with the pussycat buttons I made earlier this year. To be honest, I don't know why I made it with long sleeves - I'd rather wear short sleeves with a cardigan than long sleeves any day!

I wore the adapted short-sleeved blouse yesterday and it is much more useful now so I know it'll get worn a lot.

Next I made some navy trousers. I used a pattern I've used many, many times before -

This time I made view E which are narrower in the leg than view D. Very comfy trousers.

My next project is to make this top - view B but with short sleeves (shown top right on the pattern).

First of all I made a copy of the pattern front so that I could do a full bust adjustment. This is the amended front piece before I trimmed it properly.

I've been sewing it today but it's not finished yet so I haven't been able to try it on. My fingers are tightly crossed that it works out well. :o)

10 comments:

  1. Your busy as usual. I love how organised you are with binding. I'm guessing it's all that planning as a teacher :) I recently altered a few garments and I am now wearing them much more. The top pattern does look lovely, you always have such lovely fabric so can't wait to see it.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how just shortening the sleeves of a shirt makes it more wearable? The top still isn't done but hopefully it will be soon! :o)

      Delete
  2. Love the binding you made. Those will be fun additions to any quilt. Love your garment projects too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanna. I don't know why I haven't made bindings before. It was fun! :o)

      Delete
  3. What a good idea tto make up binding with left over fabric! Hope the top turns out ok - I still haven't made the trtousers that I was going to make momths ago!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you've been so busy with other things, Anne. Much busier than I've been! :o)

      Delete
  4. I like the style of blouse you're making. As usual, you're so busy with that sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your productivity always inspires me! Great idea with the binding, I save all mine too and one day I'm going to make a truly scrappy quilt with one big scrappy binding! I'm in awe of you just whipping up a pair of trousers, just like that. I really want to give trousers a go, but don't think I have the confidence to try them yet.
    Happy Thursday :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made those trousers so many times now that I don't even look at the instruction sheet any more. I'd say go for it - they're not as hard as you think they're going to be - honest! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)