Saturday, 20 September 2014

baking, sewing etc

I don't seem to have blogged "properly" for a wee while so, yet again, I have to rely on my camera to tell me what I've been up to.

First of all, I baked: crunchy cookies - recipe below.

And sultana cookies - recipe here:

I folded all my summer clothes up ready to go into the suitcase under the bed. They've been like that for about 2 weeks now. It's not hard to pull the suitcase out from under the bed ... I just haven't done it yet!

I got myself some new patterns in the Simplicity half price sale.

I've got some dumpling bags on the go - free pattern and tutorial here.

Joanna made us a chocolate cake for our anniversary. It was delicious!

She also made up a date night basket for us.

Needless to say the chocolates are all gone but the rest is waiting for us to decide on our choice of movies to watch.

Here's the recipe for the crunchy cookies. Before we were married (35 years ago last Monday!) I went to cooking classes which were called "Budget Cookery". I could cook and bake - my mum taught me well! - but I thought it would be good to learn some new things and maybe, as a young wife, be able to do it without spending too much money. I still use a lot of the recipes I learned and this is one of them.

CRUNCHY COOKIES

6 oz marg/butter
4 oz soft brown sugar
8 oz plain flour
¼ level tsp salt
demerara sugar for covering

Set oven to 160ºC

Beat marg and sugar together until soft. Sieve in half the flour and salt. Blend together and then add the rest of the flour. Roll into a sausage.

Sprinkle a piece of foil with demerara sugar, place sausage on it. Roll so that the outsides are evenly covered in the sugar, adding extra if needed. Place in the fridge for 30 mins to firm up.

Slice into ¼” slices. Bake for about 15 - 20 mins. Leave on trays for about 5 - 10 minutes then cool on a wire rack.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Anne, just catching up now I am back, I have been reading, just not commenting! Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby!! I hope that you have many more happy years together. I love the idea of the date night basket that is a great idea isn't it and a lovely present for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. The basket was - is - and ingenious gift! :o)

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary Anne! I must say I think you are showing brilliant restraint only eating the chocolate - my basket would have been empty within minutes! Thanks for the cookie recipe - and the link to the 'dumpling' tutorial - lots of things to keep me busy there x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. And you're welcome. :o)

      Delete
  3. I can see you're going to be very busy with all those new patterns. The chocolate cake looks delicious and what a great gift the Date Night Basket is, love it. I must remember that. Hope you think of a suitably good movie to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna's plan was that we would watch 2 movies on the same night - one Douglas's choice and one mine - but I told her one or both of us would be bound to fall asleep if we did that! LOL

      Delete
  4. Oh Anne I've put pounds on just looking at Joanna's wonderful cake and I'm going to have to try your biscuit recipe. I love the idea of a date night basket, as our anniversary is coming up I'm going to make my OH one. Tell Joanna thanks for her great idea.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna was worried that it didn't cost her much - a bottle of Shloer, a bag of popcorn and some chocolates - but I assured her it was a brilliant idea! :o)

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary to you and your DH! What fun all these lovely photos.... and those crunchy cookies sound wonderful! I'm gonna have to try your recipe... I'm sure they will be perfect with a cuppa tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Freda. The crunchy cookies are great - with tea or coffee or hot chocolate etc. etc.! LOL

      Delete
  6. You've been busy! I enjoyed seeing what you've been up to lately. Your cookies look delicious; thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the date night basket (I ought to write it down somewhere to remind me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was - and still is - a great present, Anne. We've still to decide what to watch - and when! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)