Friday, 1 August 2014

tartan appliqué bags and a denim dress

I was playing around with some bags earlier in the week - needless to say, they weren't any of the 49 I have cut out all ready for sewing! *eyeroll*

Anyway, I wanted to see if I could come up with some appliqué designs I could use in tartan on a calico bag. I am chuffed to bits with the way they all turned out.

First - a scottie dog:

Then I made a Loch Ness Monster:

I drew the Nessie myself in Photoshop. I am no artist but I think it turned out okay. The tartan on this one is Black Watch which hasn't turned out too well in the photo.

Next I made Scotland's flag: (It's usually a white cross on a blue background.)

Next I was back in Photoshop trying to make the map of Scotland out of parallelograms - once a Maths teacher and all that! LOL

That one was way too finicky to make so I don't think it will be repeated.

And then I made a thistle:

Again the Black Watch tartan on the lower part doesn't show up too well.

The Scottie dog and the flag bags are lined in the red tartan - Royal Stuart.

And the Nessie and thistle bags are lined in the Black Watch - this photo shows the colours better.

After all that bag-making, I got down to sewing the denim dress I'd cut out last week. I used this pattern which I'd made in the 90s.

This photo is so fuzzy it's almost not worth showing - and I have a grumpy face!! - but it's the best one of a very bad bunch.

I'll need to see if I can get Douglas to take a better one of me in it!

And, please admire the buttons. These are the exact same buttons which came off the denim dress I made (and wore to death) in the 90s.

The dress is really comfy so I suspect I will be wearing this one to death as well! :oD

22 comments:

  1. Love the bags, especially the scottie dog one. They are lined beautifully. Now that dress looks good and you don't have a grumpy face, but a concentrating one. Have a great weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You're right Susan. I was concentrating so hard on trying to get a decent photo and that was the best I could come up with? Dearie, dearie me! :oD

      Delete
  2. Great bags - but I LOVE the buttons- so satisfying to re-use them like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. I wasn't sure if I would remember which buttons I'd used back then but, as soon as I opened the "metals" button box, there they were begging to be re-used! :oD

      Delete
  3. I love love love the tartan bags. They look wonderful. Your dress looks fab, a concentrating face not a grumpy one I would say ;) The buttons look great, agan. (Just scrolled back up and noticed Susan said the same about your expression, he he) Have a lovely weekend.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. You and Susan are too kind - I definitely look a bit grumpy! :oD

      Delete
  4. Lovely bags, the Scottie dog and Nessie are my favourites. Your dress is fabulous, I love it. It's great how you've saved the buttons from your last dress and reused them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I have so many buttons it's (almost) embarrassing. Mind you, if I had to go out and buy 8 buttons like those now, I hate to think how much they would cost me so it's just as well I'm a hoarder! :oD

      Delete
  5. Love the bags, love the dress - you look smashing.

    And for some reason I now have this movie quote in my head: "'Cause Santa don't got a grumpy face!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That quote went through my head as I typed that my face was grumpy! :oD

      Delete
  6. Love the scottie and Nessie bags... what a great idea! The jumper pattern is a great one and your new denim version looks fab on you. How cool you used the buttons from the first one... a girl after my own heart, saving buttons!

    Great job on everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Freda. Buttons, ribbons, lace, fabric. The list goes on and on! :oD

      Delete
  7. Those bags are so cute, I love Black Watch Tartan, such a lovely colour combination. I'm thinking I need a denim dress in my wardrobe now, yours is fabulous! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I had it on today but had to take it off again because I got too warm in it. I'm sure it won't be long before I get it back on again. :o)

      Delete
  8. buttons duly admired - I love it when I can reuse something - but the clear winner is Nessie. That really made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was thinking I maybe need to make Nessie bigger. I mean, she is a monster, after all! LOL

      Delete
  9. Your dress came out so well. It looks really nice on you. The tartan bags are awesome. I really love the Loch Ness one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. The dress is sooo comfy - I (almost) can't wait for the weather to cool until I can wear it! :o)

      Delete
  10. I love the scottie dog bag!!! That is just too too cute. The dress looks great on you as well Anne. I hope that you enjoy wearing it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I suspect it will get worn to death just like its predecessor! :o)

      Delete
  11. I absolutely LOVE the bags...I think the Scottie is my favorite.

    I have that same dress pattern from a while back. I've just not done any garment sewing in such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanna. How funny that you have the same pattern. Great minds think alike and all that! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)