Wednesday, 27 August 2014

nearly there

I got a lot of work done on the blue diagonal quilt today. First I pinned the top to the royal blue fleece backing.

Then I quilted it in blue thread, ¼" away from the seam lines only quilting on the white fabric so that the blue thread would show up.

I used white thread in the bobbin - I like how it shows up on the blue fleece but isn't shouting out that it's not the right colour.

I then searched my piles of fabric for the blue and white stripe that I knew I had for making the binding. I looked through all of the piles 3 times and it wasn't there. I don't remember using it but I must have. Anyway, it wasn't there so I had to choose something else. In the end, I think it's an inspired choice and probably better than the blue and white stripe would have been!

I machine stitched the binding on to the quilt top -

And then started hand-sewing it to the back.

It's not quite finished but hopefully I'll get it done tomorrow.

15 comments:

  1. Wow, you are a quick worker!! It is looking good!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I was amazed at how much I got done yesterday!

      Delete
  2. Great progress on this one Anne. I like the binding fabric. It coordinates quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again I'm playing catch up! Love your diagonal quilt, it looks just like it was always meant to be diagonal, so a good decision to just go with the flow, methinks! And I think that bindings going to be just right too. Looking forward to the big Tah-Dah pic :-)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gilly. Every time I put down a square, it would be in the diagonal pattern rather than the zigzag so, why fight it? It obviously wanted to be diagonal! :o)

      Delete
  4. I really like the idea of using fleece as a backing - never thought of that before. I suppose it makes wadding unnecessary. Hum think I'll have to give that a go. I made up a large square last night, 5" charm squares, 9 x 9. Really please with the way it looks but spotted an error this morning, so the unpicker will be out later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Fran. :o)

      I used to work in a fabric shop in Inverness - many, many moons ago - and a lady from Cyprus came in and told us that she always used fleece for the backs of her quilts. It's much less work and just as cosy - if not cosier - than wadding. You can buy fleece by the metre but look in places like Asda's (I'm assuming you're British because you're calling it "wadding" rather than "batting"!) for picnic blankets etc. They're usually much cheaper - and just as good for quilt backings - as fleece by the metre.

      Delete
    2. Anne, thanks very much for the info about the fleece, I'll definitely be looking into that. Yep, definitely British - just a lot further south than you!

      Delete
  5. I' don't sew so I don't have a clue when you describe the processes you go through when making a quilt, I just know that the end result is always stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great. I love the HST's place diagonally. Sometimes our quilts just take us in the direction they want. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one definitely wanted to be done on the diagonal and who was I to argue with it? :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)