Friday, 25 July 2014

red, threads & zebras

My mum asked me if I would make her a red skirt so I dug out the pattern I made from one of her own skirts last Christmas - or maybe it was the Christmas before that?? - and set to. Because I'd made it before and had written down everything I did in great detail - very handy to know I needed 14½" of elastic for the back without having to work it out - it didn't take me long to make it.

When I took it into the care home for her, she was so pleased with it. In fact, when I suggested I took it to her room to hang it in her wardrobe, she said "Not yet, I want to admire it some more." Awwww. :o)

Next I wanted to make myself another Afternoon Blouse with some fabric I had in my piles. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough to make the fancy bit with the button on it and the accompanying facing so I messed about with the pattern taking off that and making it into a (plain) v-neck top. I am so pleased with the way it turned out.

Can you see the teeny tiny reels of thread? No wonder I wanted a top out of it. Very appropriate fabric for me! :oD

Now, what does a person do when she sees another duvet cover on sale at Asda's that has zebras on a white background? Well, she buys it of course. 4 metres of 200cm wide fabric for £9.60? The bargains just keep jumping in my basket! Here it is.

But I just wasn't sure about it. I washed it, hung it on the line, stared at it and wondered if I'd ever be brave enough to wear it. I decided that it wasn't the zebras that worried me, it was the white background. So what did I do?

I dyed it. I knew, because the fabric was polyester/cotton mix, that it wouldn't come out as vibrant as the colour on the box (Dylon Machine Dye, Ocean Blue) but I just have to say ... I LOVE it. I will definitely wear this ... when I get time to cut it out and sew it up!

18 comments:

  1. Your Mum's skirt and the blouse both turned out very nice. The zebra fabric is interesting and I'm wondering what you are going to make from it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I'm thinking of making a dress with the zebra fabric but I haven't cut it out yet so I could easily change my mind! :oD

      Delete
  2. Your Mum's skirt does look lovely. What a great fabric for a blouse. I can't wait to see what happens to the zebras now you've dyed them blue.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. I do love the wee threads fabric and was chuffed that I was able to make something out of the wee bit I had!

      Delete
  3. Your mum's skirt turned out so nice and how lovely that she was so pleased with it.
    That's such a cute fabric you used for your blouse and you got yourself another bargain with the zebra fabric.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. I really need to start making things with my bargain fabric rather than just piling it up! LOL

      Delete
  4. Dyeing the fabric was a brilliant solution, I'd never be so brave as to do anything like that, knowing me, the zebras would have been dyed too. Your mum's skirt is fabulous, no wonder she's so pleased with it. I love to do things for other people when they're so appreciative. I bet you're glad you made such detailed notes when you made the last one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad I made the detailed notes too, Jo. With her being in the care home now, it's not as easy to get her to try things on as it was when she lived in her own house. Thankfully the skirt fits her perfectly so no need for me to bring it home and sort it. Yay! :o)

      Delete
  5. I love the zebra fabric, very cool. Your mum's skirt came out so nice, you did a wonderful job and I am sure she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. Mum had the skirt on yesterday when we went to visit her. She says it's very comfy so I'm really pleased with that! :o)

      Delete
  6. How nice that your Mum wanted to admire the skirt that you made her! I bet that she wanted to show her friends too!! I don't know if Asda have a points card, but yours will be showing that you have an avid interest in their bedding if they do! I look forward to seeing what the Zebras turn into! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL No, Asda doesn't have a points card. Probably just as well as they'd wonder what on earth I was doing with all these duvet covers I buy! :oD

      Delete
  7. I love the red skirt - I would have wanted to sit and look at it for a while too!! Much as I love your zebra fabric, I don't think I would be brave enough to wear it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I'm thinking of making a dress out of the zebra fabric. I'm *hoping* I'll be brave enough to wear it. :oD

      Delete
  8. I love the redness of the skirt, so I'm not surprised your Mum wanted to admire it for a longer time. I can't wait to see what you do with the zebras!! Have a great week creating! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chel. I'm thinking of making a dress with the zebra fabric. I just hope I'm brave enough to wear it! :o)

      Delete
  9. I love that new spools top Anne -- just perfect for you. And the Zebras are fun -- can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I was so pleased I managed to get a top out of the wee bit of the threads fabric I had. :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)