Monday, 21 July 2014

cutting out

The top I re-made because it was miles too big for me got finished, worn for about half an hour and then got deposited in the bag for the charity shop.

I just don't know what was wrong with it but it just didn't feel good. I blame the fabric - it's a really soft viscose and it moved about all over the place as I was sewing it so it was no real surprise to me that it didn't sit properly. Anyway, it's destined for the charity shop where someone will hopefully buy it giving money to a good cause in the process.

I made this Afternoon Blouse a few weeks ago but never blogged about it - no idea why. This is another duvet cover from Asda's. I think this one cost me £10 but, for 4 metres of fabric - 2 metres like this and 2 metres of a white with turquoise spot - that's an amazing price!

A close up of the button.

And yet another Afternoon Blouse which I made just after the one above. I top-stitched it with white thread because I didn't have a good enough match in my masses of threads and didn't want to go and buy one just for the top-stitching.

The white thread actually fits in perfectly with the button I chose!

This is my next project in the dressmaking part of my sewing life. I've had this pattern since the 1990s and made it back then and decided, after making my dress with the princess seams, that it could be something I might wear now - albeit in a bigger size than I made back in the 90s. I'm going for the shorter version this time but I'll lengthen it by about 3" so it's a similar length to the dress I made.

I went to my local fabric shop and was disappointed to see that their denim was £9.99 a metre. The dress takes nearly 4 metres so that was a non-starter. No way was I paying £40 for a denim dress. I decided to do a search on eBay and found a lady selling a 5 metre piece of denim at a tremendous bargain price of £9.90 - yes, for the whole 5 metres! Okay, I had to pay £12.90 postage but that's only fair. I mean, 5 metres of mid-weight denim weighs a lot so I was delighted to win it.

I had to cut the piece in half to pre-wash it - I couldn't get the whole piece to go in the washing machine! It's now washed and dried and ironed and waiting for me to get it cut out. Soon, I hope.

In the meantime, over the last few days, I've done a massive amount of cutting out of pinnies and shopping bags. In total there are 28 pinnies cut out:

49 shopping bags cut out:

And 15 grocery bags - just another shopping bag but a slightly different pattern.

My cubbies look decidedly depleted but that actually makes me really happy.

I've cut up fabrics that have been sitting there for months, if not years. I've used fabrics for the linings of the bags that have been sitting there just as long, if not longer. It's a great feeling to have all those bags and pinnies cut out and ready to sew but it doesn't mean I'm going to do them all in a rush. No way. After all, I have that denim dress to start first. And a red skirt to make for my mum. And another Afternoon Blouse cut out and another 2 dresses planned. :oD

22 comments:

  1. First thing tomorrow I am off to Asda to have a look at the duvets :) Your second blouse is lovely, it's a shame you don't like the first one but hopefully it will find a new home. I can't wait to see your dress, it sounds like a lot of fabric needed. Are your hours longer in Scotland? You seem to get so much done.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL we do get more daylight here than in the south but it's more a case of "forget the housework, I'm going to be in the sewing room!". :oD

      Delete
  2. Your afternoon blouses are gorgeous and the buttons go perfectly. Glad you found some denim at such a good price it is really difficult to come by, can't wait to see your dress! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut it out this afternoon so it's a stage further on now. I was really glad to find this piece of denimon eBay - and it's a much better quality than the one in my local fabric shop so it's like a double bargain. :o)

      Delete
  3. The afternoon blouse is really sophisticated. I'm wondering what pattern you used? Love the denim dress pattern and I also keep patterns that are easy and look good. You've certainly been busy with all that cutting.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used this pattern, Susan - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/184891696/afternoon-blouse-womens-pdf-sewing

      It comes as a pdf so you have to print it out and stick it together but that's not hard - it just takes time. :o)

      Delete
  4. You've been busy with all that cutting out and you won't be short of something to sew for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my thinking too, Jo. If I only have a wee while to sew, at least I can get something started. :o)

      Delete
  5. Love all the stuff you've made although I am exhausted just thinking about all the hard work you've been doing with cutting out and stitching up. Think I need to go and have a lie down now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first blouse posted needs darts/seaming to make it fit better but if you don't care for the fabric... a new home is just what it needs. The next two blouses are lovely... as are the buttons! Buttons really do make a difference to a finished garment. Glad you found some reasonably priced denim... I consider shipping/handling as part of the price per yard... and you still got a deal!

    Cutting out stuff is my least favorite part of sewing and I'm with you on doing it all at once! You have a lot of sewing projects there... that should keep you out of mischief for a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about the lack of shaping on the first top being the problem, Freda. I need to try it with a crisp cotton to see how it looks and then I'll know if it's the pattern or the fabric - or maybe my body! LOL

      Me, mischief? I don't know what you mean!!! :oD

      Delete
  7. I too have been delving into my stash - and yes, it's good when spaces start to appear! Love your blouses, especially the button detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tidied some of my fabric piles this afternoon and made even more spaces just by folding things a bit better. I love the gaps! :o)

      Delete
  8. You've been busy. These afternoon blouses are so lovely. I'm sorry that one didn't fit right but you're so good at making them it's worth trying again so you have a perfect fit. I'm glad you're using up the stash, it feels really good to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, Jennifer. And, for now at least, I don't feel the urge to buy more fabric to fill the spaces. I'm sure that feeling won't last long, though. LOL

      Delete
  9. Wow Anne you are going to be a very busy sewing lady!!! It is a shame that your top didn't work out, I expect that someone will either buy it and love it or love the fabric and make it into something else. Great buy on the denim, I look forward to seeing the dress! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the dress cut out this afternoon so it's one step closer. Yay! As for the first top - I suspected the fabric would be a pain in the neck to keep straight and I was right. Why don't I listen to myself? LOL

      Delete
  10. And now, after reading all those projects that you have going on, I'm going to go and have a lie-down LOL! (Btw, empty cubbies mean you can go shopping! ;-D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes, that thought occurred to me too! :oD

      Delete
  11. Too bad the first blouse didn't fit comfortably but a generous offering to the charity shop. You use the cutest buttons.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)