Monday, 14 July 2014

around the world blog hop

I've been nominated by my blogging friend, Jo from through the keyhole, to take part in the Around the World blog tour. Thanks Jo! I will now attempt to answer the questions!

What am I working on right now?
For my the tartan bee shop: I have a pile of bags cut out waiting to be sewn ... some time soon. (See photo below)

In dressmaking - I made a top on Saturday which is - believe it or not - far too big for me!

Today I unpicked all the seams and cut it out at a smaller size. This one seems to fit me better. Fingers crossed that it still will when I put the sleeves in.
I bought another duvet cover out of Asda's this morning (for £5) for another dress like the one I made last week. Here's the duvet washed and drying on the line:

How Does My Creative Process Work?
When I make for my tartan bee shop, I buy fabric with an idea of what I'm going to make with it. I know if I'm going to make bags with a piece of material or pinnies (aprons) or both. I love to buy fabrics for those that are interesting. Let's be honest, going food shopping isn't exactly the most exciting thing to do so, if you can do it using a bag (or bags) that make you smile, then it has to be better. I also like to buy fun fabrics for pinnies. If I could, I'd keep one of every fabric as a pinny but I just can't do that. The kitchen drawer where I keep them is hard enough to close as it is! :oD

After I've got the fabrics chosen, I'll usually spend a couple of days just cutting out loads and loads of bags and pinnies. I won't necessarily sew them all up at one time but I like being able to sew up a couple when I have some time or the urge to do it. Here's the pile of bags in the crate waiting to be sewn.

Buying fabric for dressmaking is a completely different thing. I freely admit to buying fabric without knowing exactly what I'm going to use it for. I might know I want to make a blouse or a top with it but I won't know which pattern I'm going to use until I get it on my sewing room table. It keeps my dressmaking interesting for me that way and, after all the years I've been sewing, I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

How Does My Work Differ From Others In Its Genre?
I suppose, since I made up the patterns for the pinnies and the bags myself, they're different from other people's but they're not unique really. I mean, they're shopping bags and pinnies - nothing too unique about those! I like to think the fabric is the way to make them stand out. Same for my dressmaking. I could make the same pattern as someone else but I doubt they'd choose the same fabrics as I do.

I'm also proud of the finish. I have a quote in my sewing room which says "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well" and I try to stick to that rule. If I'm not 100% happy with something I make, it won't even get near my Etsy shop. If there's a flaw in it anywhere, I won't sell it to someone else. That's why that kitchen drawer is hard to close!!

Why Do I Create What I Do?
I've always loved making my own shopping bags and pinnies with fancy fabrics so, when I decided to open my Etsy shop, it just seemed obvious to me to keep making things I was good at making and see if I could sell them. Sewing with Christmas fabrics has always made me happy so I started adding some Christmas things into my Etsy shop. I actually just re-listed them for this year. Christmas does start in July, doesn't it? LOL

In my dressmaking, I just make whatever I want. I've always loved being able to make things that other people don't have. I bet I'm the only person in town - perhaps even in Britain - who has a couple of tops and a dress made with (different) duvet covers from Asda's! That pleases me no end.

~ ~ ~
I'm going to be a bit of a rebel here and not nominate specific people to carry on the blog trip. Instead I'm nominating all of you who are reading this to answer the 4 questions on your blog then let me know when you've done it so I - and others - can come and take a look.

Here are the (original) questions:

1. What are you working on right now?
2. How does your writing/creative process work?
3. How does your writing/work differ from others in its genre?
4. Why do you write/create what you do?

Thanks again to Jo for nominating me. It was harder than I thought it would be to think of the answers as to why I do what I do.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this, Anne. Your work is really beautiful and unique. I'm glad we've connected because I enjoy your blog a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I'm glad we've connected too! :o)

      Delete
  2. Well done Anne. It always fascinates me as to why people do certain things and by explaining it, makes it all so much clearer. We are all so different as to how and why we work the way we do. Thanks for the insight and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. It never ceases to amaze me how many different ways we all do things! :o)

      Delete
  3. Hi Anne - an very interesting post - I think I would struggle to answer the questions! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I had the questions in a WP doc on my desktop for about a week trying to answer them. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)