Tuesday, 24 June 2014

the afternoon blouse - messing with the pattern

I made another Afternoon Blouse yesterday but first I wanted to make some changes to the pattern. In the first version ...

... I made the pattern exactly as it was meant to be other than lengthening it by an inch. I love it but, if I'm honest, it's just a smidge tight over the bust.

For my second version ...

... I had added a FBA to the pattern - full bust adjustment.

Now, whilst the blouse fits me and I love it, it's not perfect. It has way too much fabric between the sleeves and the neckline which makes it bunch up when I'm wearing it. Also, the bust dart (second attempt) didn't end up where it should - it's a bit low and not quite pointing in the correct direction. (The first dart I drew in was going to end up in the sleeve so at least it's better than that!)

Here's the pattern piece for the front after doing the FBA (twice) and adding bits in here to adjust for the dart being there. It's almost hardly surprising it didn't quite work out right! LOL

So, yesterday, I decided to go back to the original pattern, add in the 1" on the length as before but this time I'd drop the armhole by 1" and then grade it out down the side seams by ½" as if I was doing the next size up.

I should say here that the size 20 on the pattern - my size - says it's to fit a 114cm bust - my size exactly. It also says the blouse is "loose" so I thought - as you would - it'll be fine. Well, I measured the first version across the bust and it has a finished measurement of 116cm. I'm sorry, but 2cm ease isn't "loose" in my book. Anyway, no matter, because number 3 has worked beautifully. I'm really happy with it and it fits beautifully. Yay!!

Here's my attempt to take a photo of myself in the mirror in the sewing room. Believe me, this was the best of a bad bunch! LOL

Here's another attempt at the bottom of the stairs - not much better.

And here's the "I wonder if this one will show the button and fabric nicely?" close up.

I love all 3 versions of the Afternoon blouse and will wear them all. I have no doubt I'll make it again - probably soon! I'm a great believer in using a pattern as many times as you can to get your money's worth out of it! :oD

18 comments:

  1. Thanks Anne for the Photo's, Hopefully I will get around to cutting out the pattern this weekend. It looks such a comfortable style to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very comfortable to wear, Kim - especially now that I've made it fit me better! LOL

      Delete
  2. You must have a lot of patience to keep going with those alterations until you got the perfect fit. I must say that they all look lovely to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it's patience or sheer bloody-mindedness, Jo. I suspect the latter! LOL

      Delete
  3. Love the version with the bright yellow button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you persisting like that, Anne. The final blouse looks perfect but they all look good to me. Thank you for showing how you made the alterations, that was interesting and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I'm glad it was helpful. I worried that I was being too technical for my own good! :o)

      Delete
  5. I wish I had your knowledge for altering patterns that fit badly. You are talented! I love the way your altered blouse turned out! Fabric, button and all!
    Linda
    mysewwhablog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, Linda, this was the first FBA I'd tried. I've read about them loads of times on blogs and in books so I sort of knew what I was doing but, when the first attempt was going to make the dart end in the sleeve I just laughed and laughed! At least it all worked out well in the end! :o)

      Delete
  6. Wow I'm really impressed with your pattern rejigging. They all look lovely but your final blouse does look like it fits perfectly.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. It is definitely the most comfortable of the three. :o)

      Delete
  7. The final version does look better - although the first two are fine. Definitely worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty blouse Anne, third time is a charm.

    I love your hair cut too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're all beautiful Anne! I especially love the second version with the little birdies. And I LOVE that button treatment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! I've made another one this afternoon. I think I might be a bit obsessed with this pattern! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)