Sunday, 22 June 2014

blouses and skirts

I've had a very enjoyable week of dressmaking this week. First of all I made myself a top which is called the "Afternoon Blouse". I got it here. I used some button fabric which I had in my stash. I LOVE it!

I thought the button - from my stash - was very appropriate!

Then I made a couple of skirts. They were both made from the skirt pattern I made way back in February 2012 from this book:

I had to take it in a wee bit - yay!! - but, other than that, everything else was the same. First I made a red one.

Then I made a blue one. They've both been worn several times since I made them.

And you might have noticed my second version of the afternoon blouse there. I love this fabric too. I got it last week in Asda's. No, Asda isn't selling fabric now - more's the pity! - but it does sell duvet covers. The fabric is polycotton and, as long as front and back are the same, you get 4 metres of fabric (54" wide) out of a single duvet cover. It cost me a tenner. Can't beat that!

I wish I'd thought of the placement of the birds on the centre front seam but, I didn't think about it and the teeny bits of birds heads I've managed to decapitate (woops!) won't stop me wearing the blouse so it's all good.

I don't know what's in my sewing plans for this week - we'll just have to wait and see what jumps on to the cutting table tomorrow. :o)

16 comments:

  1. Love that button fabric Anne and thanks for the top tip re: duvet covers - plenty of bargains out there to be had! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget sheets and valances too, Jane! Great value for money when compared to fabric shop prices. :o)

      Delete
  2. Your afternoon blouses are lovely, that button fabric is really cute! Great tip about the duvet cover, think I'll have to raid dunelm mill! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I've used valances from Dunelm Mill too. I think I paid £5 for one and I still have loads of it left! :oD

      Delete
  3. Very nice. The button matches the fabric perfectly. What a great idea, buying a duvet cover for the fabric, a great money saving tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I was really happy when I found that the yellow button was actually on the fabric. :o)

      Delete
  4. I love the blouses - the button fabric is super!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always have such nice fabrics - and turn them into such lovely creations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that pattern, and your fabric choice is lovely too. Would love to have a go at that pattern - Does it come up true to size? I tend to hover between a 20/22 depending on the old hormones you see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hover between a 20/22 as well. The first one was made exactly from the pattern - other than lengthening it by 1". It fits but the - em - girls are a wee bitty squished. In the second one I did a FBA but, while it does fit better over the bust, I felt it had too much fabric between the sleeves and the neckline so it doesn't lie as well as I'd like. I've made another one today and, instead of the FBA, I just drew another size on at the side seams - each size was ½" bigger than the one before so I just added ½" to the side seams of the front and back and lowered the armhole by 1" and it fits me so much better now. I hope that helps. :o)

      Delete
  7. Very nice! They all look great. You're really good at this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you have been busy! Love those little birdies especially... even the ones "withoot their heids" ;-)
    Looking forward to seeing what comes off the cutting table next,
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)