Monday, 30 June 2014

be careful what you wish for!

I spent a frustrating weekend making muslins of dress bodices in an attempt - several attempts - to make them fit me. You see, I'm blessed/cursed with large "frontage" - be careful what you wish for as a skinny, flat-chested teenager, it might come back and bite you on the bum when you're in your 50s!!

Anyway, I was trying to make Simplicity 2444 (sleevelesss version) fit me.

First I did it the "measure your upper bust then pivot out to your real size" method. Did. Not. Work. The resulting top was tight across the frontage and way too short - darts are supposed to point to boobs, not enclose them. Here it is on Diana the dummy. It's even too tight on her and she doesn't have the same "frontage" as I have. Nor does she need to breathe! Luckily for her!

My next attempt involved the next size up, enlarged to take the frontage, lengthened to sort the enclosing problem. Did. Not. Work. To say I was disheartened is an understatement. I've been sewing for over 50 years and I cannot get this dress to work for me. :o(

Okay, I decided. Let's not drag this out any longer. Pack the pattern into the envelope and move on. So, what did I do next? Tried to get the bodice of Butterick 5748 to fit me.

Did it work? Nope! Let's just say that 5748 is now packed away in its envelope too. Tomorrow's sewing will not involve dresses of any kind. A wise move if only for my own sanity!

Moving swiftly onwards. Let me show you some bunting which I made last Wednesday. I actually gave myself a bad back trying to get this made in time for Douglas to take it over to his niece on Thursday. I think it was worth it!

Here it is in the making:

And here it is hung in the kitchen. Lucy's:

And Emme's:

Thankfully, Lucy and Emme's mum liked the bunting. I haven't heard if the girls liked it or not - I hope they did!

And finally. It was raining at walk time this evening so Tilly Facetimed me to tell me she wouldn't be along. :oD

16 comments:

  1. I have that Simplicity pattern that came free with a magazine one time. I haven't attempted it yet - did wonder if it was really "me" anyway.
    It's very disheartening when things don't go right with the sewing but your bunting looks great.
    Hope your back is a bit better.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. A couple of paracetamols and a hot water bottle sorted my back out really quickly. It was my own fault for doing too much. As for the Simplicity pattern - I think you've hit the nail on the head - it's the wrong style for my body shape. It's not the pattern's fault or my fault. We just don't match!

      Delete
  2. I have the same problem. It's a nightmare getting a dress to fit if your sewing never mind buying one off the rack. I had to laugh at Tilly she looked so sad.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Ali. I make my own clothes for that precise reason. I recently bought a blouse out of M&S in a size 22 and it was too tight for me across the frontage. I tell you, that made me feel wretched. But it all turned out well enough - I took it back and bought shoes instead! LOL

      Delete
  3. Sensible Tilly!
    How frustrating about getting the pattern to fit - perhaps you will have a "lightbulb moment" and get it to work out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about trying again but have come to the conclusion that the style isn't right for me. I mean, I don't show the waistbands of my skirts or trousers - my tops always cover them - so why would I want to make a dress that's shaped in at the waist? Daft or what? :oD

      Delete
  4. Have you tried the Simplicity 'amazing fit' patterns? The bodice has different cup sizes, might be worth cutting the largest cup size and doing a full bust adjustment. I've got one in my stash but not got around to sewing it up yet. Love your bunting by the way and Tilly is such a sweetie! Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I have a Butterick pattern in my stash that has different cup sizings on it but it's got so many top-stitched panels on it that I'm now thinking "what if I do all that sewing & topstitching and it still doesn't fit me?". I'll maybe take a look at the Simplicity ones and see if I find one I like. :o)

      Delete
  5. Bother, bother, bother. That's how I would have felt. I very rarely make clothes for myself anymore, because with my rounded back, basically no boobs and being so short it's just painful. I'll still make, skirts, shorts and pull-on slacks, but that's about it. I love some of the clothes you make and am envious of your talent. Shame about Tilly pulling out of her walk. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Bother" wasn't quite the wording I was thinking, Susan. My thoughts were a bit ruder than that! *blush* I'm going to stick to patterns I know fit me for now. :o)

      Delete
  6. It's sometimes good to take a step back, once you go back to the pattern you may find that you just figure it out. The bunting looks fab and Tilly is as gorgeous as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I've put the patterns away for now. As I didn't cut the pieces out - I traced them - I'm thinking I might sell them on eBay - at least then the money I spent on them won't all be wasted ... and I could always buy more fabric with the money! LOL

      Delete
  7. Good for you trying anyway. It looks like it would be difficult to do. I used to work in costumes and we only ever fit women who were thin as rails with flat chests and no hips or butts, you could practically wrap a piece of fabric around them and call it a dress and have it actually look good! But most people aren't built like that and I admire you for working so hard at this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I think part of my determination to make them work was because I'm stubborn. I definitely couldn't make clothes for other people. It's bad enough trying to fit my own body with all its lumps and bumps! LOL

      Delete
  8. Yeesh! So sorry you had those "pattern issues"...yes, we will call it pattern issues. Lovely Tilly, she was so smart to stay in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanna. "Pattern issues" does sound better than "body issues"! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)