Friday, 16 May 2014

secret things

Here are the secret things I made this week for Joanna's birthday today. First of all, a pouch with her favourite matryoshkas on the outside. I used the free open wide pouch pattern by Anna at Noodlehead.

The inside:

And an orphaned earring made a great zip pull! I think it was one of Joanna's own earrings so very fitting that she should get it back!

And my favourite game this week was making these hairgrips. I saw the idea on Pinterest - here - and sent off for the special kirby grips from a supplier on ebay. I had the cover buttons already so it was just a case of digging them out, covering them with fabric, taking off the wee bit you're meant to sew the button on with and attaching the now flat button to the wee circle on the kirby grip with hot glue. These only use about a 1" square of fabric - I could make millions of these and still have fabric left! LOL

I swear it took me longer to cut the cards and punch holes in them to take the kirby grips than it did to make the hairgrips! Fun times! :o)

Joanna got a few more presents than this but, for some reason, I haven't taken photos of them.

Happy Birthday, Joanna. Being 32 is going to be awesome! :o)

18 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Joanna!

    I'm sure she will enjoy her gifts as they are all very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday to Joanna, I hope she had a lovely day. Lovely gifts, I especially like the red dotty hair slides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I know she had a great day because she told me she did! :o)

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of using an orphan earring for the pull, I have lots of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too, Janet. At last a use for all those single earrings that I've kept over the years just in case the other one showed up again! :o)

      Delete
  4. These are lovely gifts and she will enjoy them very much. I have the same matryoshka fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been wearing the hairclips every day since her birthday so I do think she's enjoying them! Too funny that you have the same fabric! :o)

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday Joanna - what a very talented mum you have x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely gifts! What a great idea for hair clips too...

    :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it so much I sent for 100 cover buttons from eBay! Woops! :oD

      Delete
  7. Hope Joanna had a lovely day. The fabric you've used for the pouch is really cute and I love the fact you used an earring for the pull. The hairgrips look wonderful but I had to laugh when you said it took longer to punch the holes. Been there done that, very frustrating :) Have a lovely week.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know how it goes, Ali - the holes have to be in *exactly* the same spot relative to each corner. Honestly! I could easily drive myself potty with that kind of stuff! :oD

      Delete
  8. Just catching up - I hope Joanna had a super birthday. I love the pouch, and the hairgrips are fun.
    There seems to be a problem with Typepad again - so annoying - I can't even use my Typepad ID to comment!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I hope Typepad starts behaving itself properly soon. Oh, by the way, welcome home! :o)

      Delete
  9. I had a lovely day and I love all my things. Thank you, mama. Yeah - 32 is gonna be awesome!

    And thanks for all the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)