Wednesday, 21 May 2014

a top and a new baby quilt

I have one more top to show from last week's sewing. Again the pattern is my favourite sleeveless top pattern, Simplicity 2599.

Now on to new things. Last Friday, I sat outside in the sunshine and made plans for a new baby quilt. (No baby in mind, I just fancied making a pink quilt!) I'd seen this one on Pinterest and thought it would be fun to make. So I made plans:

This morning, after doing the ironing - just showing off here! LOL - I cut out 72 pink 4½" squares and 72 white 4½" squares. (Thank goodness for my Go! cutter. The 4½" square die was well used this morning!) I drew lines on the diagonals of the pink squares, sewed them together ¼" away on both sides of that line, cut them apart and got these.

I pressed some of them open but I have quite a few more to do.

Next job is to put them together in a random pattern. Who am I kidding? The pattern will start off randomly and then I'll probably spend ages moving them about until it's not random at all! I know I'm not the only one who does "random" that way! :oD

15 comments:

  1. I absolutely love starting a new patchwork project. I usually end up not knowing what to do with it, though! I have a lot of place mats and table runners as a result. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually sell mine in my Etsy shop or in my daughter's (bricks and mortar) shop in Perth. :o)

      Delete
  2. You've just about got a new summer wardrobe now with all the lovely tops you're making. Looking forward to seeing your not really random quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was thinking today that that's probably enough sleeveless tops for now. If we get as good a summer as we did last year, I might do more but we'll see. :o)

      Delete
  3. I laughed at your "random" - I have a friend who just can't cope with random!! I still haven't done any dressmaking .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been joining the squares today and sort of chose them at random. We'll see how it goes from here! Random with a bit of moving, I suspect! LOL

      Delete
  4. I can't do random! I love 'patch' work - fabric, knitted or crochet squares, but I do have to have a logical pattern. I have tried to do 'random' but always end up unpicking (to some extent) and spend hours plotting on a spreadsheet grid to get the best pattern. To be honest I am not sure I don't enjoy the planning as much as the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually lay the blocks randomly on my bed to get them looking good ... and then spend ages re-arranging them! LOL

      Delete
  5. "Random" is the hardest thing ever.... and I've tried! Mebbe just put all the HSTs in a basket and pick the next one without looking.... that would be truly random. Not sure I could do that though... *lol* I'm too much of a control freak...

    Lovely blouse... ya done good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Freda. Yes, I tried to put the squares together (sort of) randomly this afternoon. Only time will tell how it all turns out!

      Delete
  6. Another lovely top, the fabric is really pretty. I can't wait to see your quilt, pink again! I would struggle with random. I know I couldn't just put the square anywhere. Have a lovely weekend.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realised how much pink was going on around here! LOL I do plan to make a blue boy's quilt in the same design if the pink one works out well!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)