Tuesday, 29 April 2014

yahoo, blogger comments and I found it, Tilly!

For a few days - maybe even weeks - my yahoo has been rejecting some comments on my blog - most of them my own. It sends me a "delivery status notification (failure)" e-mail telling me that "554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons. "

There's a link in the e-mail which tries to explain what's happening but it didn't make much sense to me.

Here's a direct quote from that link:

"We recently changed our DMARC policy to proactively protect our users from increasing email spam that uses Yahoo users’ email addresses from other mail servers. This is an important step to secure our users’ email identities from being used by unauthorized senders. It also interferes with some long-standing uses of identities that are authorized by the user but not verifiable."

Basically what I *think* is happening is yahoo doesn't want me to e-mail people from anywhere other than yahoo. My blog comment which, because it sends an e-mail to the blogger whose blog I'm commenting on, is classifed as an e-mail and is not being sent from my yahoo mail so it's not allowed. Make sense to you? Me neither!

I googled it to see if there was anything I could do about it and none of the answers I read would work for blog comments. What I did notice is that it's not just happening on yahoo. It's also happening for aol e-mails as well. That explains why I don't get an e-mail when my friend Jo from Through the Keyhole leaves a comment on here. I don't suppose she's getting one from me either when I comment on her blog! In fact, I just checked and it looks like my comments aren't even being posted on her blog. Crumbs, Jo. I'm not ignoring you!! I'll sort that in a minute!

Editing in here to say that I just tried to comment on your blog again, Jo, but I got another failure notification e-mail saying that your aol isn't accepting the e-mail so you probably don't even know that I've commented.

From my google search, it's obvious I'm not the only one who's peeved about this but I don't suppose that will make a blind bit of difference. So, I just went into the comments part of my settings and changed my e-mail notification address to a non-yahoo one. We'll see if that helps!

And now, because I can't have a words-only post - it would just be wrong! - here are a couple of funny photos. The first one is of the blanket that normally sits behind me on the couch but, when we came back from our weekend away, it was down on the cushion.

Why was it down there? Well, because Tilly had hidden a doggy biscuit under it!

Silly Tilly! :oD

8 comments:

  1. Oh, what a pain about your comments. I think all of us enjoy getting our comments and like to know that our own little network are still with us. My blogroll is small compared to others, but I do enjoy. Tilly is a bit of a devil, by the sound of it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it might be happening to a lot of people, Susan, but how would we know? I have no idea! Tilly is a wee monkey, that's for sure. :o)

      Delete
  2. A doggy biscuit doesn't last Archie long enough for him to hide it. It's such a pain with the comments, though they are getting through, it's just that I'm not getting the email to notify me that it's awaiting moderation. It's a case of me having to check on the blog to see if there's anything there waiting. I do hope it all sorts itself out soon. I've emailed you, I hope that managed to get through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tilly is really good at hiding biscuits. I’ve found them in all sorts of places. The best (so far) was the one that was tucked inside my nightie under my pillow. That gave me a bit of a turn until I realised what it was! LOL

      Delete
  3. It's such a pain when things like this happen. I know with my Yahoo account that it was hacked into and weird and wonderful things kept happening so I created a gmail account. Let's hope you get this sorted out as it is so lovely to read comments and reply to them personally. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pain, Chel, but if changing my e-mail address for the comments works, then that's what I'll do. I certainly don't want to have a failure notice coming in every time I comment on someone's blog - or reply on my own! That would get really old, really quickly!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, doesn't that stuff drive you nuts? My comments give me trouble too, but for different reasons. Funny Tilly -- aren't dogs funny to hide their bones. I once found a big dog bone buried deep in the folds of our couch -- six months after our dog died. I hate reaching down into those crevices -- you never know what's down there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the idea of putting my hand down the side of the couch makes me shudder! I do remember doing it as a child, especially on my Dad’s chair, as there was always money down there! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)