Tuesday, 8 April 2014

sea-coloured stuff to sing in

As you might know, I sing in a choir. We have a concert coming up this Saturday and last Thursday, at rehearsal, I asked our conductor what she wanted us to wear at the concert. We usually wear all black with either a scarf or a flower in various colours. Not this time. Oh no. Our conductor told us she wanted the ladies to wear a "sea-coloured top". She gave us the option of something blue, green, turquoise or white. As long as it was sea-coloured, it'd be fine.

I was trying really hard to think if I had anything that fit that description in my wardrobe. Sure, I have a blue top but it has elephants on it! Not very appropriate!

And, yes, I have a white blouse but it has pink pussycat buttons on it. Not very appropriate either!

So, what did I do? I made a new blouse of course! The best part about buying polycotton sheets when they're on sale is that I usually have something I can use to back a quilt or, in this case, make a sea-coloured blouse!

Not only did our conductor want the ladies in sea-coloured blouses but she also wanted the men to wear sea-coloured bow ties. Now, I don't know about where you live but there's a definite shortage of shops around these here parts which sell bow ties never mind sea-coloured bow ties. So, after I'd made my own blouse, I decided I'd make our men some bow ties. I've made bow ties for them before ...

... so I knew exactly what I was doing. Thankfully!

See, keeping scraps comes in handy yet again! :oD

16 comments:

  1. Love your blouse and what a talented lady being able to make those bow ties and sing too! I'm sure you'll all look great. Hope the concert goes well and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I just hope we remember our words! :oD

      Delete
  2. Your blouse looks wonderful and I think it's fab it started out life as a sheet. It made me smile that you thought your fun blouses wouldn't be serious enough :) The bow ties look great, maybe you could have done the sewing bee tonight. Have a lovely night on Saturday.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. I'm sure my fun blouses would have been fine - well, maybe not the elephants - but I didn't want to outshine everyone else! LOL

      Delete
  3. I want to come and live next door to you, just so that you can whip up an outfit for me whenever I need a specific one in a hurry! Your blouse is just perfect and I'm sure the men will be chuffed with their new bow ties too.
    Have fun at the concert!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gilly. I'll find out tonight if the men like their ties. Mind you, they're easier to please than women. Basically, the men probably don't care two hoots what colour their ties are! It must be easy to be male - when it comes to dressing anyway! LOL

      Delete
  4. How fun! That new blouse is perfect. You must be the official choir seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes, people call me the "mistress of the wardrobe" but that's only because I can make bow ties and scarves. There's no way I'd willingly make blouses for all the women. :oD

      Delete
  5. Fabulous. You're all going to look very smart. What sort of songs do you sing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. This concert is for the RNLI so we're mostly singing songs about the sea and water. Hopefully we'll remember all the watery words! :oD

      Delete
  6. You are amazingly mulit-talented, Anne! Not only a new blouse for you... but you helped out the male choir members as well! Great job!


    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas, and love the blouse and the bow ties. Over the last year or so I have started to buy the odd king sized cotton sheet when they are on sale with no particular reason but I like the colour and have a ready quilt backing for the future. Most of mine cost around £7 for really good quality - never thought of making blouses etc out of it though. I used to make accessories for dance schools and private schools, so have made bow ties for similar events many times - it really takes me back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I usually pay about £6 or £7 for my sheets. Any more than that just doesn't feel like a bargain! LOL

      Delete
  8. Well done Anne! I do hope the concert goes well this evening and the men enjoy showing off your wonderful creations. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)