Monday, 10 March 2014

sleeves, pinnies and bags

I was playing around with another shirt pattern this week and decided to widen the sleeves by expanding them down the centre as explained in the "Fit for Real People " book. I had briefly thought about just adding half an inch to the top of the sleeve and have done with it but decided to "do it properly" instead.

After I'd done about 30 - 45 minutes worth of redrawing, cutting, spreading & taping the pattern together, I put the original sleeve pattern on top of the new sleeve pattern and guess what? It's basically just added half an inch at the side seams! *eyeroll*

I haven't sewn the blouse yet because I got a wee bit busy sewing other things.

A couple of pinnies like this:

2 like this:

2 like this:

And 2 like this:

And 3 bags like this.

Now I just have (to make myself) do the descriptions for them so I can load them into Etsy. Then I might be able to get that blouse made. I hope the sleeves fit!

12 comments:

  1. Garment sewing is not easy for me but I do like reading blogs that feature talented people like you!

    Your fabrics get more and more adorable every time I see a post about your aprons. Cut bags too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanna. I love all the fabrics so it's hard for me not to keep all the pinnies - and bags! :oD

      Delete
  2. Do love the fabric in those pinnies and bags and look forward to seeing the blouse. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pinnies and bags! Good luck with the sleeve making - I still haven't managed to even think about buying fabric for trousers, never mind making them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I'm kind of dreading sewing up the blouse just in case it doesn't fit. It's maybe just as well I'm using a (new) sheet to make it up. If it fits, it's a cheap blouse. If it doesn't fit, it's no great loss.

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love the sweetie jar bag. And you spent the time checking if you only needed to add an inch to the sleeves - next time you will just be able to go ahead and do that. Time well spent, I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true ... if it works! :o)

      Delete
  5. Ha ha, I wonder why I bother sometimes when things work out like that. Love the pinnies, I think the cake one is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jo. I was like "what?". Oh well, if it works, at least I'll know I don't need to go through all that nonsense again!

      Delete
  6. Lovely pinnies. I hope the sleeves work out after all the time you've spent on them
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)