Wednesday, 15 January 2014

clearing out - and Tilly with the slipper

I've spent the last few days in my sewing room just have a good clear out of some things. I have a long way to go but I'm trying to be sensible about what I keep and what I toss. I mean, if I needed an iron-on denim patch, would I even remember I had a 2" x 1" square of it in one of the drawers or would I just go to the shop and buy a new one?

My honest answer would be, I probably wouldn't even use an iron-on denim patch and, if I decided I needed one, the chances are it would need to be bigger than 2" x 1"! And it would, no doubt, need to be a different colour of denim to the one I have. And, yes, I would probably just go and buy a new one. So, do I keep said 2" x 1" patch or not? What a dilemma! :oD

In the midst of all this clearing out, my sister asked me to make my mum some new oven gloves but not the type that I usually made. They had to be the gauntlet type. Well I did make them but, oh, I did not enjoy the process. Turning that thumb was a nightmare! Anyway, they're done - even though I only remembered to take a photo of one of them!

Another bit of clearing out that I've done is this.

Debbie had cut up some old towels of hers with the intention of me teaching her to use my overlocker so she could make them into cloths. Well, the basket of unoverlocked cloths has been sitting in the sewing room for months so I just went ahead and overlocked them yesterday. Next time she visits, I'll be handing her 36 cloths!

You can imagine the mess after overlocking all that towelling so I took my overlocker apart and cleaned it. I even went as far as to get the special mini cleaning hose for my vacuum cleaner and sooked up tons of fluff. It felt really satisfying to see all that fluff disappear up that hose. The overlocker is now sparkling and raring to go again ... but, please, no more towelling cloths for a while! :o)

And now, because it would feel wrong not to show Tilly, here's a short video of her antics with a slipper!

18 comments:

  1. Its always good to get some work finished, especially if it has been on the "to do" list for a while! I should be following your example. Well, perhaps tomorrow!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Perhaps tomorrow" is a wonderful phrase, Liz! :oD

      Delete
  2. Trying to be sensible when you pitch-and-toss is very difficult... but one must be brave! *wink*

    I have serged/over-locked toweling and you are right about the amount of fluff/fuzz every where... including clinging to me! I'll bet is it good to have that project done and on the way out the door...

    Tilly is adorable... what fun....



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I stood up after overlocking all those cloths, I looked like *I* was made of towelling! :oD

      Delete
  3. I cut up old towels to make cloths and yes, it goes everywhere!! We are in the middle of (yet another) declutter having had to move everything out of the motorhome this week for it's service. It is unbelievable just how much stuff you accumulate - even when you live very simply (obviously not so simply!!)
    You really will have to stop showing pictures/video of Tilly, it is really making me long for a dog ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's scary how much "stuff" we accumulate. I'm trying really hard to get rid of things I don't need. The danger is I'll fill the gaps with more stuff! :oD

      Delete
  4. Silly Tilly :-) There's nothing as good as a puppy or kitten to give you a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. She makes us laugh all the time! :oD

      Delete
  5. What an adorable puppy! Well done on the overlocking - don't you feel good when you finally finish a project like that! I have been trying to get through a pile of half done/almost finished bits and bobs .....I'm slowly getting there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I love finishing jobs that have sat around for ages. There's a definite sense of achievement. :o)

      Delete
  6. Well done for having a clear out and finishing off session. I also hate turning fiddly bits. Tilly is gorgeous. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I won't be offering to make those gloves again any time soon - unless she wants them without thumbs! :oD

      Delete
  7. Aw, cute pup! Well done for the clearing out and the overlocking - and I love the fabric you've used for the oven glove.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gilly. The fabric was left over from my summer skirt from last summer. Something else used up! Yay! :o)

      Delete
  8. Those cloths should keep Debbie going for a while. I loved the video of Tilly but I bet Joanna won't be so happy when a big Tilly get hold of, and chews, her slippers, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Jo. We're hoping that she'll get out of her chewing-everything-in-sight phase really soon! Hopefully! :oD

      Delete
  9. I just love that can sew anything that anyone needs. The pot holder is perfect!

    That Tilly has won all of our hearts...her little head fits inside the slipper...too cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)