Tuesday, 26 November 2013

the winger is a winner!

I am sooooooo proud of this runner, it's just not true! As you know from my last post, I was just winging this design - no pattern or tutorial was being used. I just cut some Christmas fabrics into 9½" x 2½" strips and joined them in a braided pattern.

Here they are all joined up.

I cut off the start to make it a straight edge and trimmed off the sides to straighten them too.

Pinned and ready to quilt.

The quilting - the front:

and the back:

The binding is sewn on the front:

I dug this binding out of the box where I keep spare bits. This is all that was left. Talk about cutting it fine!

And here it is all finished. I *LOVE* it.

I'm so happy that it's not long before I can get this one out to use. I'd hate to lay it away for a year before I could enjoy looking at it again! :o)

Editing to add: I used 32 strips of Christmas fabrics (2 pieces each of 16 fabrics) cut to 9½" x 2½". The finished measurements are approx 100cm/39" long by 28cm/11¼" wide.

12 comments:

  1. I also love that runner and haven't done a braid for ages, but do have a jelly roll put away for a quilt with braid strips. Must dig it out once we move. Well done and hope to see it somewhere in you Chrissy posts. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I haven't even put the runner away. It's lying on one of the spare dining room chairs so it'll go on the table as soon as December gets here ... on Sunday. Yikes!!

      Delete
  2. That's lovely. I suppose I could work it out, although that sort of thing is not at all my forte, but what's the finished length?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It finished at approx 39" long by 11¼" wide (100cm x 28cm). :o)

      Delete
  3. Your braided runner turned out beautifully! And all from fabrics & leftover bits you had on hand, which makes it even more spectacular! Congratulations on a fantastic finish, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Freda. Using scraps does make it feel so much better! :o)

      Delete
  4. I've never made anything in the braid pattern but I love this runner. The quilting is perfect! I must give this a try...looks like a quick one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very quick to do, Jeanna. And so satisfying as well. I love it! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)