Friday, 22 November 2013

more pinnies and a winger

I've been busy sewing some more Christmas pinnies. These ones will go into the tartan bee shop sometime this weekend - hopefully!

This next batch aren't for sale. I made these pinnies way back in 2010 and, at that time, I made them double-sided. See here for the post where I unveiled them. I never liked them with the double layer of fabric, though, as the fabrics never sat properly together. One side would lie flat and the other side would be all crunched up as if there was a different amount of fabric on that side. Weird!

Anyway, I decided to take them apart so, instead of 4 double-layered pinnies, I now would have 8 single-layered ones. It took a while to cut them apart, overlock them, hem them and add new tapes on but they're now all just waiting for the hand-sewing of the waist ties.

The eagle-eyed amongst you might notice that there aren't actually 8 pinnies in that pile - there are only 7. Why? Well, one of the sides of one of them looked like this:

Can't see what's wrong with it? Try this close up.

When I noticed it, I laughed out loud. I wonder how I didn't notice that when I made them? How daft can you get? :oD

My next project is kind of a make-it-up-as-I-go-along type thing. I've admired lots of blocks, quilts and table runners made using this broken herringbone block but, to be honest, I just couldn't be bothered doing all that "cutting, sewing together, cutting apart repeat until done". So I just cut some strips from some Christmas fabrics and laid them on my table in a pleasing combination and will sew them together like that, trim, quilt and bind and see how it works out.

Sometimes winging it is a cool thing to do! Let's just hope it works! :o)

16 comments:

  1. Well done on the pinnies and the upside down one gave me a wee giggle too! I think your runner is going to be just fab, have fun putting it together.
    Happy weekend,
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pinnies look great. I'm glad it's not just me who makes mistakes. Although if your the chef wearing the pinnie when you look down it would look right :) Can't wait to see your table runner, they all look so pretty.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should start a trend of upside down pinnies! :oD

      Delete
  3. Well done with the pinnies and we all make mistakes, and I should know as I've made whoppers over time, and not just with sewing. The table runner is going to be great. I've just started sewing together some cut off pieces from a quilt I made last year and that is just off the top of my head, as so much is packed away at the moment. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're getting the chance to sew again, Susan. I'm sure it'll make you feel good to get back to it again! :o)

      Delete
  4. Had to laugh at the upside down pinny but at least the person wearing it would be able to read it as they look down on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I wish I could say it was deliberate but I don't think it was! LOL

      Delete
  5. I think that it implies that it was an extremely merry time.Quirky and i would have worn it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment it's in the pile of "do something with this" stuff. Maybe I should take it out of that pile and just make it up like it is. It would certainly give us all a laugh at Christmas time! :oD

      Delete
  6. No idea what a winger thinger is... But great job on remaking all those pinnies! Got the kettle on? I guess we will have to make do with a virtual tea time together! Love the table runner you are making. And the description of your planning process. You make me smile! And your mother would have wanted to hang that runner on the door with a bell when you're done! Ho, Ho, Ho! Did you know? Only 31 sewing days left to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I called the runner a "winger" because I'm winging it rather than following a pattern or tutorial. It's looking good so far - fingers crossed it stays that way! :o)

      A month to go now! :oD

      Delete
  7. Lovely pinnies and good thinking about remaking the double sided ones. The upside-down "Merry Christmas" print would be fine... the print would be the correct way for the wearer to read it! :D

    I like winging it myself... this will be a great runner!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Freda. I hope to get it finished today. Fingers crossed! :o)

      Delete
  8. Nooooo - not winging it - being 'creative' (or at least that's what I always tell myself!) I love Freda's comment about the wearer reading Merry Christmas the right way around - you could be on to something there! Have a good week x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being "creative" does make it sound better, doesn't it? I think I might just have to make it up the way it is. Knowing my family, we'd probably fight over who got to wear it! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)