Friday, 15 November 2013

22 pinnies and the overlocker foot pedal

Debbie commented last week that I didn't seem to have many pinnies (aprons) in my tartan bee stock so I decided to set to and make some. I cut out 7 "ordinary" ones:

And then thought I could make some Christmas ones. 15 Christmas pinnies later ...

I then decided on the colours of tapes for them all and sat and overlocked all the edges of the Christmas ones.

I've now stitched down the edges on one pinny but my back hasn't been too good since I did all the cutting out and overlocking so I'm trying to listen to it and not overdo things. I hope to get back to the sewing over the weekend.

In the process of all that overlocking, the pedal for my overlocker got really, really hot. I mean *seriously* hot. Almost couldn't touch the pedal hot. Very, very scary!! (I'd been worried about the pedal making funny noises for a while but it was intermittent so I didn't do anything about it.) I thought it might be a good idea to see what I could do about the pedal and did some detective work online. After reading a few things about what could be wrong, I decided I'd probably save myself a lot of time and worry if I just got myself a new foot pedal. Ordered it yesterday, arrived today - not too shabby!

All I have to do now is take the leads from the old one and put them in the new one. I think I might leave that for Douglas to do. It's not that I couldn't do it myself but I like to make Douglas feel useful. :oD

18 comments:

  1. Lots of lovely pinnies! A lot of cutting out will do a number on one's back... take care of yourself... your back will thank you!

    Scary about the foot pedal overheating like that. Amazing that you could order a new one and get it the next day! Now you'll be safe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really impressed when the foot pedal arrived today. Now I just have to get Douglas to fit that lead for me! :oD

      Delete
  2. You are a tease, I thought we would have at least a partial 'ta-dah' but will have to wait for another day!! Glad the foot has been replaced, I always worry about 'things' catching fire!! Enjoy your weekend sewing and don't overdo it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You might have to wait longer than a day! I'm hoping my back will be fine by tomorrow but I've learned to pay attention to it over the years so it might be next week before I get these finished.

      Delete
  3. Good heavens, you're a one-woman pinny factory - no wonder your pedal is overheating! Looking forward to seeing them all done, but please do take care of your back too.
    Happy weekend,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gilly. I hope you have a good weekend too! :o)

      Delete
  4. You have been a busy bee Anne! Your pinnies look so festive and beautiful, I am sure they will be snapped up soon, but in the meantime be careful with the foot pedals!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chel. I hope they will be snapped up quickly and then I'll have a good excuse to make more! :oD

      Delete
  5. I am not surprised your back and your foot pedal are feeling the burn. You are a busy lady! Great job on all those pinnies! I especially like the Christmas ones. Ho, Ho, Ho! Did you know? Only 39 sewing days left to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Eeeek! I wonder why the run-up to Christmas took so long when I was a child but now seems to fly by? :oD

      Delete
  6. Haha! We have to do what we can to include the 'men' in our life... this is a clever way to go about it!

    Hope your back feels better and if I were in 'blethering land', I would order a few pinnies for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas put my foot pedal together on Saturday morning. He says it made him feel very useful! LOL

      Delete
  7. Love those fabrics and colours.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been a busy little beaver and they look as though they are going well. Glad you got a new pedal and didn't end up burning your foot (giggle). I've actually got an apron on the go, as I've not been able to find anything much as it's all packed up. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My right foot was really quite hot when I finished all the overlocking. That's what made me wonder how hot the pedal itself was! It's a good thing I never sew barefoot!!!

      Delete
  9. It's no wonder your foot pedal overheats the speed you sew things up at. Joking aside, glad you got it sorted, you can't be too careful. I'm looking forward to seeing the fabrics, you choose the most lovely designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I hope to have the pinnies ready for showing tomorrow. Or at least some of them! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)