Sunday, 6 October 2013

new bag ... for me!!

I decided that I needed to make myself a new bag and set to on Friday to make a start. I used the free pattern for the "for pleat's sake" tote which I had saved to my computer in February 2012. Definitely time to use it!

I've no pictures of the making of the bag but this is how the finished bag looks. I LOVE it!!

This shows the fabric I used for the inside and for the flower I put on the outside.

The ring you can see just above and to the right of the label is where I hang my keys from. My keyring has one of those clips on it like on the end of a dog's lead and it just clips on to the ring. It means I don't need to scrabble around in my bag to find my keys when I get back to the car!

Both girls have decided that they would like one of these bags for Christmas so I've told them they need to decide on the fabrics and handles (I got mine here) so I can get them done with plenty time to spare.

One thing I have to note here (to remind myself as much as anything else!) - I didn't like the way the pleats looked on the original bag - all 6 (on each side) lay in the same direction and that bothered me for some reason. So I folded 3 pleats one way and 3 the opposite way and I liked the look of that much better.

Oh and the pattern for the bag advises the maker not to use anything heavier than quilting weight fabric as it would be hard to make the pleats. Well, I used tweed as my outer fabric and it worked just fine for me. I never was very good at doing what I was told! :oD

26 comments:

  1. Love the contrast of the main fabric with the flower and lining :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a handsome bag! Nice size, too. I love the tweed and the sweet flower really does finish it off just right. Glad to hear I am not the only one who has a problem with doing what I'm told, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorna. I'm really happy with the way the bag turned out. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't do what she's told! :oD

      Delete
  3. Very nice Anne! Your girls are lucky to have such a generous Santa :)

    I agree about the pleats...would prefer your method over the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the pleats going in different directions too. Love the floral fabric inside. I'm envious of your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bag! I have some lovely fine tweed (woven here in the Borders) in my stash ...... could be a bag making session coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, borders tweed would be a great fabric to use, Anne. :o)

      Delete
  6. Really lovely, I love the contrasting fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patterns are just suggestions... the artist takes the suggestions and goes from there!

    Love the fabric you chose for the outside... excellent! Great purse hardware too... very very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your interpretation of patterns, Freda. It's almost like the rules "Pirates of the Caribbean!".

      Delete
  8. love your bag and we all change up patterns don't we

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bag is fab-u-lous! If I wasn't looking forward to Santa enough, I definitely am now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to choose the fabric and handles before I can get started! :oP

      Delete
  10. Just love that bag Anne, and especially the fabric. I like the sound of the key things, as I'm always scrabbling for mine. Who follows patterns exactly, cause I certainly don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think most of us change the "rules" of patterns, Susan. :oD

      Delete
  11. Interesting -- I would think that the bag would be MORE successful with a heavier fabric. I LOVE your choices -- the color in the flower and lining is just perfect. Well Done Anne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you 'break' the rules and come out winning. Your bag looks wonderful and I really like the contrasting fabric you've used inside. I somehow think there maybe more than two more orders.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a wonderful bag I love he lining

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)