Wednesday, 9 October 2013

4 more stockings and 4 holes for a belt!

On Monday afternoon I decided I would make another 4 Christmas stockings but instead of green linings and backing like I'd used in the last 4 I'd made, I'd use red. That meant I needed 176 x 2½" squares of Christmassy fabrics - each stocking needs 44. I had some already cut but not enough so I got busy with the rotary cutter. By the end of the afternoon, I had 4 baskets each containing enough squares for one stocking.

My Tuesday afternoon's sewing saw me stitching all those 176 squares together in their stocking shapes and then pinning them to wadding and calico for backing.

This morning I got them all quilted together, the linings made, the backings put on and the linings inserted. After lunch, I hand-sewed the openings closed and top-stitched around the tops of the stockings. And here are the finished results:

After I'd finished the stockings, I was pondering on what to start next when I remembered I'd told Debbie I'd make the 4 holes in the capelet she had made to carry the belt. I also had the belt to make and the belt loop!

The holes were basically (big) bound buttonholes and I knew how to do that. I must admit, I was really pleased with how well they all turned out. This is one of the front ones:

And this is the belt loop and the 2 holes at the back of the capelet.

When Debbie tried it on, the capelet fitted her so much better than it did before so, hopefully, she'll get the wear out of it now. :o)

18 comments:

  1. I always get pleasure from seeing your Christmas works, Anne. Good for you - four more stockings for the shop! Great job on those button holes, too. They look so professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorna. I'm hoping for a nice bright day tomorrow to get the stockings photographed for my shop. I think rain's forecast so it might not happen!

      Delete
  2. Woo! More Christmas stuff - very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really make nice stockings Anne! Well....everything you make is nice :)

    Great job on the belt holes for the capelet. Wish it were cold enough here for one.

    Hope the rest of your week is as productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely cold enough here for the capelet, Jeanna. The temperature has dropped 10ºC since Tuesday! Eeeeeek!

      Delete
  4. I need to lie down after reading all that! Love the stockings, and I am very impressed with the belt holes. I need to resurrect by buttonhole skills, as I would like to make some cushion covers with flaps and big buttons - I just need more time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit tired too after writing it all out! :oD

      I was surprised at how quickly the method for the bound buttonholes came back to me. I'm sure your cushions will look amazing.

      Delete
  5. The stockings look great in patchwork. Well done on the belt holes, it looks like a professional job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just signed up to follow after spotting your comment on another blog, I just had to pop over and have a nosy round. Love the stockings, hate sewing little squares together in one hit so I use them as leaders and enders and wait till I have a pile of 4 or 8 patch blocks. I am now going to have a little look at your shop. Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to meet you, Pam. Thanks for taking the time to comment. :o)

      I actually found sewing the squares together quite enjoyable. I quite like doing chain sewing - it seems like no time at all and you've got all 44 squares sewn together!

      Delete
  7. Your quilting maths makes me smile. Now I know why I don't quilt, I'm rubbish with numbers : ) The stockings look gorgeous and I bet Debbie's really pleased with her revamped capelet.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I used to be a Maths teacher in my previous life, Ali, so numbers don't scare me one bit! :oD

      Delete
  8. You're so productive and organized - I want to come and live in your house so some of your influence will rub off! Love those stockings!
    Have a happy new week,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might look like I'm productive but only in the sewing room. Dust, dust everywhere ... :oD

      Delete
  9. Now Anne, you always have some gorgeous things to tempt me with. Those Christmas stockings are stunning! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)