Thursday, 19 September 2013

scrap sorting

So, why did I buy myself a 2½" square ruler? (The one Billy brought me last Friday.) Well, I decided that it was time to do something with the boxes of scraps that I have. I decided to cut them into 2½" or 4½" squares. Why those sizes? Well, the Go! cutter has those sizes on one of its cutting dies and, when I thought about it, those are the sizes I've used on some (most) of the baby quilts I've made so those seemed sensible sizes to go for.

This is a photo of the scrap boxes after I'd dealt with 3 of them. I think it's fairly easy to see which ones I'd done and the ones I still needed to deal with!

This is the pile out of the "creams" box ready to be dealt with.

I put them into piles of those that could be cut with the Go! cutter - I cut them with the cardboard templates first and then put them through the Go! - and those that needed to be done with the 2½" or 4½" square rulers because the pieces weren't big enough to cut them with the Go!

These are the boxes where I'm storing the 2½" and 4½" squares - filling up nicely. The big box at the back of the photo is holding bigger bits which I wanted to keep as big pieces in case I wanted them for something else.

I now only have the "reds & pinks" box to tackle. If you look back at the first photo, that's the box on the bottom left shelf. The fullest box. The one that's going to take me forever to get to the bottom of! I keep telling myself it'll be worth it when I've done it but that doesn't make the idea of tackling that box any less daunting! Eeeek!

16 comments:

  1. That's a great idea Anne, as I've just frightened myself no end with all the fabric I have, along with books and magazine clippings. You'll be able to have a lovely time during the coming winter sewing to your heart's content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, Susan. Moving house when you are a fabric hoarder is a scary prospect!

      Delete
  2. Great progress Anne! It may seem daunting now but it will be so worth it in the long run :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that, Jeanna, but the red/pink box is still not done! :oD

      Delete
  3. Good idea, I might copy you on this. . .
    xEva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taking me some time but I keep telling myself it'll be wonderful when it's finished! :o)

      Delete
  4. At least you are getting organised! My motto is - one day .....!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a bit like my motto, Liz - "not right now". :oD

      Delete
  5. You'll be pleased you've tackled it once it's all done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will, Jo. I know I will! :o)

      Delete
  6. Sure wish you lived closer--I have piles of scraps that need organizing and cutting! I know how good it feels to get organized, GOOD FOR YOU!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Linda - is it okay to be glad I don't live closer? :oD

      Delete
  7. Wow -- what a great idea! That's what I need to do with my scrap boxes. I love scrappy quilts made just out of blocks. Will you be making quilts with them soon, or is this a project down the road?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I don't know if it'll be soon but I do hope to make a quilt - or probably more than one - out of the wee squares. I love postage stamp quilts and the wee squares would be perfect for that. :o)

      Delete
  8. Such an organised lady! I've received the pinny and it is just perfect! I wore it all day yesterday as I was making my Christmas cake and having a BBQ outside. How random was that?! Thanks again xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good to know, Chel. I'm so glad you liked the pinny - and that it's been put to good use already! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)