Monday, 16 September 2013

a Christmas table runner

On Saturday afternoon I got a notion to make something Christmassy. I went through some of my quilty books and landed on this one.

The design I chose was the one on the cover but I needed to change it slightly. The one in the book is a runner for the bottom of a bed - a wee bit too big for a table runner. So out came the pencil and paper and I worked out what I wanted to do.

I then dug out some Christmassy fabrics, cut them to the hexagons and triangles I needed on my Go! cutter and then got on with the sewing. This morning I went back to it and got the top made.

I pinned it ready for quilting.

And quilted it using the goldy-coloured variegated thread that I seem to use for all my Christmas quilting.

This afternoon I added the binding and this is how it turned out.

I am sooooo pleased with it. It's currently sitting on top of the coffee table in the living room. I wonder if I'll just leave it there or is it maybe just a wee bit too early to start decorating for Christmas? :oD

21 comments:

  1. What a whizz you are! A beautiful Xmas table runner and all made so quickly. I think it is too early to decorate for Chrissy, but then it is lovely when you make something new to have it out for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might keep it out for the rest of September and then put it away until nearer the time ... maybe. :oD

      Delete
  2. Possibly a little too early for Christmas. .. but as soon as Halloween is over, I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be on to a good idea there, Jem! :oD

      Delete
  3. Wow Anne! You ARE the most smartest! I love the table runner...it is very elegant. The gold thread is perfect for holiday quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not too early to decorate for Christmas...according to some US retailers, at least :D Love how your new table runner turned out. Maybe you could sell some in your shoppe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about it, Sue, but I might go for smaller versions. Or placemats. Or coasters. Ahh, decisions, decisions! :oD

      Delete
    2. I was wondering if you'd make more of the same pattern to sell too. I really loved that one, it's so pretty and I like the pattern/layout of the fabric. I would suspect if you made more to sell there would be a stampede to go get them.

      Delete
    3. I'm still thinking about making a few for selling, Les. It would be nice to think there would be a stampede to buy them! :oD

      Delete
    4. Well I check your shop from time-to-time, I see you have many sells and great reviews. :)

      I think many are starting to think of Christmas already. I know the idea has floated around my head a few times..... until I bash it to go away! rofl

      Delete
  5. The table runner is beautiful! I love the gold thread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gorgeous and so Christmassy. The shops are already decorating for Christmas, the local card shop had their cards in before the schools went back, so I don't suppose it's ever too early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local Sainsbury's even has their Christmas sweeties in! Eeeeek!

      Delete
  7. The table runner is beautiful. I'd be tempted to put it out now so you can really enjoy it.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. I might leave it out for a wee while and then put it away for a few weeks until December ... or maybe November! :oD

      Delete
  8. You should be pleased with it Anne -- it's fabulous. I LOVE that pattern and I really like the way you quilted it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your table runner is gorgeous! That's using your noggin, Anne! Just in time too.... Only 91 days til Christmas now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorna. 3 months today we'll be watching the Norad site for Santa! I can't wait! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)