Monday, 5 August 2013

sconnage, baking and the last blouse

On Saturday morning, we headed out for some sconnage. I had an apple and cinnamon scone with butter and jam and a pot of tea. Very delicious!

In the afternoon, I decided to do some baking. Coffee kisses (recipe below):

And some apple muffins:

I finished the last of the four blouses I'd cut out a wee while ago.

I made a bit of a boob, though. Instead of 4" between the buttonholes (& buttons), I'd only made mine 3" apart. I didn't realise until I put it on yesterday and I kept thinking "why is this front flapping open all the time?". Thankfully, nothing was ever on view that wasn't meant to be on view. Phew! :oD The blouse is in the wash today but, when it's in the ironing pile, I'll just add another buttonhole & button to stop the front flapping.

Coffee Kisses

6 oz SR flour
3 oz butter
2 oz caster sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp liquid coffee or 1 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tsp boiling water

Heat the oven to 190ºC.

Mix the flour, butter and sugar in a bowl until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and the coffee and mix to a stiff dough. Take teaspoons of the mixture and roll into small balls. Place on baking trays and bake for 15 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool.

Put two together with butter icing (2 oz butter, 4 oz icing sugar). Eat. :o)

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I think that would be considered a design feature, wouldn't it? You know, so that that blouse looked a bit different from the others! Gorgeous colour. And, mm, those coffee kisses look good enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Design feature! Now why didn't I think of that? :oD

      Delete
  2. Those coffee kisses look fab - think I'll try some this afternoon - thank you! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, those apple muffins look good enough to eat. I've just been catching up on the posts I missed whilst away, as you already know I love the fabrics you use, but I think you're on to a winner with the camper van fabric, they're so 'in' at the moment. I love the cat fabric too with all the doggies hiding in between them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I hope you had a good holiday!

      Delete
  4. Okay, now I'm hungry... *lol*

    Apple-cinnamon scones? Apple muffins? Coffee cookies? I'll be right there...


    Lovely blouse... and adding a button is a simple fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about making you hungry, Freda. :oD And the blouse is already fixed. Yay! :o)

      Delete
  5. We had some sconnage at home on Sunday - I threw a little pre-birthday afternoon tea for my dad and made some Marscapone & Brown Sugar scones.. delish!
    Your flappy front problem gave me a good giggle ;-)
    Happy Wednesday,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mascarpone and brown sugar scones? Now those sound delicious!

      Oh and it's Tuesday ... isn't it? :oD

      Delete
  6. Another lovely blouse! The bakinng looks tasty - and excellent sconnage!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. The sconnage was fabulous. Just slightly warm and very soft - what more could I ask? Except for non-fattening, of course! :oD

      Delete
  7. Those coffee kisses look yum and will certainly try them. I also hate flappy blouses, so maybe that is why I love knit polo shirts so much. Didn't get an email, so maybe my address doesn't come up properly, so here it is -- susan.smith49@bigpond.com Love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)