Tuesday, 27 August 2013

scalloped hemmed skirt and an experimental blouse

Here's the skirt I made on Saturday. Just ignore the threads hanging from the blouse! :oD

I basically used my go-to skirt of this summer - Butterick 4461 - and scalloped the hem. To do that, I used this tutorial which is one of the very first things I ever pinned on my Pinterest boards.


Source: via Anne on Pinterest

I'm really pleased with the way it turned out and will definitely add scallops on to more skirts - and maybe even tops!

The blouse I made was a bit of an experiment. I took a blouse that I had made previously but hadn't fitted me as well as I would have liked. Basically, I cut the pattern apart and put it back together again. I moved the bust darts, the front and back darts, moved the front neck up a bit, made it longer and wider and pretty much made up my own sleeves. The photos are a bit out of focus but I think you can see how much the pattern has changed!

This is how the blouse turned out.

In the photos, I haven't finished off the buttons and buttonholes which accounts for the pins and the hanging threads but it's looking good. If it fits me as well as it fits the dummy, I'll be counting my experiment a success! Yay! :o)

8 comments:

  1. I love your scallop idea and I'd never think of changing a pattern like that blouse, although I change quilt patterns as well as knitting ones. Funny how we think of some things and not others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first attempt at changing a pattern - other than lengthening or shortening, that is. The jury is still out as to whether it's been a success. :o)

      Delete
  2. Wow Anne! Both garments are very nice. I love the scalloped hem on the skirt and the blouse is adorable. I especially like the neckline.

    I used to sew garments (simple patterns) years ago but haven't done any since. I should give a project a try...like next year sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanna. I have so many things I'd like to make - dressmaking, quilting, knitting, crocheting etc. etc. - it's no wonder the housework doesn't get done very often! LOL

      Delete
  3. The scalloped hem looks great. Glad you managed to alter the blouse so that it fits better, you're so clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. The blouse does fit me better but it's actually a bit loose. At the moment, I'm telling myself that's a good thing! :oD

      Delete
  4. I love your scalloped skirt! I actually thought of you last week while on holiday. We went in a shop called Haystacks, and one of their features was bias-cut skirts. I don't know how to describe them but here's a link. http://www.haystacks.net/cart/category253/clothes/skirts/above-or-at-knee If you click on a skirt, then you can magnify the pic and maybe tell how they're cut and stitched. You can reverse them so the seams are smooth (on the inside) or scallopy (on the outside). So cool. The price wasn't cool but the idea was, LOL. I have no idea what the fabric is (ok, I looked, it's a tactel/lycra blend. Whatever tactel is. It was stretchy and smooth.) Anyway, I thought you would have enjoyed browsing the shop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, thanks Susan. I'll check that link and see what I can see. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)