Monday, 8 July 2013

sunshine, haar and tennis knuckle!

On Saturday, it was really warm here so I took my basket of oven gloves outside.

I had a lovely time out there pinning the labels on.

Today - Monday - we had our usual east coast haar* going on so no sitting outside for me. I just got on with the oven gloves in the sewing room instead. I have a sort of production line going on so I'm doing the same stages for all of them at one time. It does make it feel like I'm not getting on very quickly with them but I keep reminding myself that, when I get to the last stage with them, they'll all be done at once. Yay!!

After watching our Andy win Wimbledon yesterday - c'mon the Scots!! :oD - I wondered if we still had our swing ball and, sure enough, after digging in Douglas's Aladdin's Cave - aka the garage - we found it! So Jo and I had a few games until this terrible thing happened to me.

I don't know if the bruise shows up very well here but it's quite impressive. Jo claims it was my fault for hitting the ball with my finger but, hey, who batted the ball so hard in my finger's direction? :oD

* "Haar" is fog which rolls in off the North Sea coast especially in eastern Scotland and the north east of England.

Editing to say - my finger looks bad but it doesn't hurt at all. I can press the bruise and there's no pain whatsoever. Thankfully!

17 comments:

  1. Oh I hope your fingers ok. I was really pleased for Andy, the scottish half of me was extremely pleased (my dad was from Glasgow). It always makes me laugh that he's British when he wins but Scottish when he losses. I hope he gets plenty of time to enjoy his success. It made me laugh that your doing your gloves in stages. I have 100 flowers to crochet. I keep changing my method in order to pass the time quicker.
    I hope your injury hasn't slowed down your progress.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My finger doesn't hurt in the slightest, Ali. If it was as sore as it looks, I'd be in big trouble! :o)

      Delete
  2. Oh Anne you poor thing - that looks painful - at least you have Andy's victory to keep you smiling. I've not heard of a haar before - is it the same as a fret? Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked it up, Jane, and, according to wikipedia, "haar" is called "fret" in Yorkshire. Who knew? Not me! :o)

      Delete
  3. Erm - who batted the ball in your direction? It was either you (because I likely missed!) or, I blame Rafa. Definitely not me!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was most assuredly you! Definitely not me - or Rafa! :oD

      Delete
  4. I just adore those oven gloves! I like your process that keeps them all at the same stage. Look at the number of "finishes" you will have at the end.

    Hope your finger feels much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanna. My finger - for all that it looks bad - doesn't hurt at all.

      And, yes, I'm really looking forward to the day I finish all those gloves at once. The sense of achievement that day will be huge! :o)

      Delete
  5. Hope your finger isn't too painful. Keith said last night Andy would have been a Scot if he hadn't won, but the English claim his as their own now that he has won. (giggle). My hubby comes from Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Andy was grumpy - and he was now and again - the commentators used to call him a "surly Scot". Funny how he's British now! :oD

      Delete
  6. *ouchie* *ouchie* *ouchie* The bruising looks awful... glad to hear it not painful for you!

    I like to work on multiple items at the same time... it's definitely more efficient!

    Glad you got some sunshine... and are enjoying it when you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep waiting for the finish line with these oven gloves and the wonderful sense of achievement I'll get when I get there. Soon, I hope! :o)

      Delete
  7. Hope you're finger's better soon, it looks nasty. I must dig out our swingball, though on second thoughts I don't fancy bruised fingers, and they're all so competitive in this house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes, maybe best just to leave the swingball hidden! :oD

      Delete
  8. Wow Anne, you're a busy girl with all those oven mitts. I love that quilted stitch that you're using across the fabric. I'm glad your finger doesn't hurt -- I hope the bruise disappears soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I was playing with the twin needle & some fancy stitches to do the quilting and I was really pleased with how it turned out. :o)

      Delete
  9. What lovely oven mitts and wasn't Andy amazing ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)