Thursday, 20 June 2013

oven gloves - my new pattern

I decided to give the bag sewing a rest and got started making the oven gloves which I made up the pattern for the other week. I took my time making the first one and noted down what I did so that, when I make them again (after this batch), I won't have to rethink how I did it.

I then made these 2 with some bias binding I made last week.

I was telling the girl in the fabric shop today (I go there to waste the half hour that my Mum is at the hairdresser's) that I got more than 28 metres of bias binding out of a metre of fabric. She was astounded - and didn't blame me for making it myself when the cost of the fabric was £3.50 and the cost of their fancy bias binding is £1.25 per metre. 28 x £1.25 is £35 so that's 10 times the price to buy ready made bias binding. Wow! Maybe I should go into the bias binding making business?? Emmm, no. :o)

15 comments:

  1. I really like those gloves. I can see no burns when reaching into the oven. Umm!!!! Now you have me thinking. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gloves are great and well done on making 28m of bias binding! Do you use one of those little bias-binding-making gadgets ? I've seen them and wondered if they're worth the investment or not.
    Have a great weekend
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those bias binding makers in two sizes and, if I tell you that I bought them when we first married - 34 years ago this September - and have used them only a handful of times since then that might tell you if I think they're worth it or not.

      When I make my bias, I only press over one of the edges - the one that gets sewn down by hand on the back. I just leave the edge that gets sewn by machine on the top side flat as I find it easier that way. :o)

      Delete
  3. Love the oven gloves, especially the red )cos it would match my kitchen), woo hoo for the bargain bias binding :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. A tenth of the price is a great bargain, isn't it? :o)

      Delete
  4. These oven gloves are so cute! Amazing how sewing some small piece of fabric together can add such a homey, wonderful touch to the kitchen! Love them!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the oven gloves! I would never think of buying bias binding, it is so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty oven gloves, a shame to use them really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha -- are you saying you'd get tired of making binding LOL??? Love those cute little mitts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I wouldn't want to make it all day every day, that's for sure! :oD

      Delete
  8. Oh sounds like your the queen of bias binding. The binding and the fabric look lovely together and I love the new oven glove design. Very pretty and it looks very practical.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)