Tuesday, 14 May 2013

I'm giving it up - and other things

Each week, since the beginning of the year, I've been posting a "52 weeks of happy" post where I show 4 photos of things that have made me happy in the past week. For the last few weeks I've been finding it harder and harder to find things to show. Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy, it's just hard not to be repetitive. I mean, I could easily post photos from now until December 31st of Rosie & Molly, sconnage, fabric and things I've been sewing but, to me, that's a bit boring. And, if it's boring for me, then I reckon it must be boring for you as well!

So today, as I was busy in my sewing room, I decided to give up doing the 52 weeks of happy posts. The relief I felt when I made the decision was amazing. How silly is that? I mean, it's my blog, I can write what I like and post what I like so why put pressure on myself to do something that, to be honest, wasn't making me happy? Yep, very silly.

Okay, enough of that. Let me show off some things that I've been up to.

First of all, Molly was being patient - or trying to be - when the doggy biscuits that Debbie had made were ready.

They had to stay in the (switched off) oven for 2 hours so they could harden - see why she had to be patient? :oD

This is some more secret sewing that I've been doing.

All will be revealed after Thursday of this week. :o)

A couple of weeks ago, I joined sewdirect.com which means I can buy sewing patterns for 50% off. I decided to go with the online membership (without the magazine) which cost me £15 for a year and then, after a lot of thought, ordered some patterns.

One of the patterns is on back order but, in this batch alone, I've already saved £17.02 from the normal price of the patterns so I've already recouped the joining fee. Yay!

And here's what I was cutting out in the sewing room this afternoon.

It's the skirt pattern from that batch above - the short button-through version - cut out in a fancy denim. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get it sewn tomorrow. Fingers crossed! :o)

7 comments:

  1. It is funny how much relief one feels when they come to a decision about something they feel may have become more burdensome that pleasurable.... it is our blogs, and we have the right to choose when and what to post! Enjoy the freedom! Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iknow what you mean - I did a "posting every day for the month of October" last year, and although it only meant two extra posts a week, it disrupted my schedule!!
    We caught up on the final of the Sewing Bee - we had to record it as we were away. Although we knew the result (I saw it on Gilly's blog) it was still very exciting to watch! I am still resisting taking up dressmaking again, as I don't have enough hours as it is for my sewing!! Malcolm didn't entirely believe me when I said that I had made a lace dress (I think when I was 19) - it had leg'o'mutton sleeves and I felt fabulous in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to believe in gut instinct and if a decision brings relief, then it's because it's the right decision! Molly is very good, I'm not sure our dogs could sit still and be so patient :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. I'm all for giving up things if they're not making you happy. They don't have to make you sad - just not happy!

    And I'm looking forward to the secret! How exciting!

    J xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now my Coco would not be as patient as Molly (have you got the recipe?). You are right, it is our blogs and we should put in them what makes us happy and content. Enjoy your happy freedom. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure the biscuits would have been way too hot to start with anyway.
    The patterns look great and can't wait to see the finished skirt. Like the look of the "How to figure your fit" brochure. Would really be handy. I'm sure we all do what we can when we have time, so I'm sure any photos on your blog are going to be great in whatever format you want to use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Posts about Rosie and Molly boring? Never. Just look at Molly sitting and waiting so patiently, those eyes do it for me. Bless. You've made a great saving on those patterns. Eleanor is just in the process of choosing a project to make for her Textiles GCSE. She's whittled it down to a dress, inspired by either 60's fashion or the punk era. Rather her than me, I wouldn't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)