Thursday, 18 April 2013

my shaping dilemmas

I've been working my way through the craftsy.com class I got last week for the sassy librarian blouse. (I got it when they had a one day sale and this one was one third of the proper price. Yay!)

I know how to sew blouses but I'm making myself sit and watch the videos, no matter how long and drawn out they feel to me. For example, I watched the lesson for how to make and attach the collar. The video took 38 minutes and 5 seconds to watch and I then went and did the collar bit in about 15 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the class but I wish it didn't take up so much of my sewing time to watch it!

The other thing is, I'm thinking I'll just watch the rest of the class without making the blouse and then watch the other class which I got at half price. (Yay!) That one was called "Sew the Perfect Fit". Why am I thinking of doing this? Well, this is a photo of the blouse front and I've added arrows to it to explain.

See where the bust dart ends? And the place where my bust point is? Well, that needs to be about 1" from the end of the bust dart which means I need to move the dart by about 3"! The side seam end of the dart is also way too close to my armhole so it needs moved down as well. *sigh*

Then there are the release pleats at the bottom of the blouse. They're meant to give the blouse shaping but, if they're not in the right place for my body, then the shaping will shape the bits I'd rather weren't shaped! As you can see, they're about 2" offline as well. I also need to lengthen the body of the blouse by about 2". *more sighing*

And then there are the sleeves. Anyone who has read my blog for a while knows that I have a constant problem with blouse sleeves. I hate to think how many blouses I've made and then put in the charity bag because I can't get the sleeves on my arms. Yes, I have fat arms - or at least pattern manufacturers would have me believe that! I already allowed for my large armage in this pattern but not enough as they're still too tight! *even more sighing*

So, I really need to learn how to make the pattern fit me before I go any further. In the meantime, I'll leave the sassy librarian in the WIP box. It was only meant to be a muslin anyway - I made it from a cheap sheet - so it's not like I've wasted any "good" fabric in what I've done so far. And, because it was a sheet, there's plenty left to remake the fronts when I learn how to do that. Okay, off to watch some more videos!

12 comments:

  1. Goodness, I wouldn't know where to start. I envy anyone who can sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure I know where to start either, Jo!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could make clothes, it all sounds so complicated, well done for sorking through it, hope it helps :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure, if I ever get it sorted, that it will help tremedously. The problem is knowing where to start!

      Delete
  3. I had been thinking about doing some dressmaking - now I'm reconsidering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woops. I didn't mean to put you off, Anne!

      Delete
  4. I don't trust patterns and always cut a larger size, you can always cut some off but you can't add it on. At least it's not expensive fabric. Hope you've stopped laughing about the tartar bee. :)
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of knew the blouse wouldn't fit which is why I used the sheet. As for the tartar bee - I think that'll keep me amused for a really long time! :oD

      Delete
  5. Oh my. Now I know why I do not sew! I do not think I would ever figure out how to alter something effectively. You do a great job at it. I bet you get it figured out in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had as much confidence in my alterations skills as you do, Jan! :o)

      Delete
  6. Think I know why I don't make so many clothes any more. Patterns are definitley not made for people of unusual shape and I think that is most of us.
    I am extremely short (149cm) no bust, but largish hips (from 3 children), short waisted but longish legs for my height. Get the picture!!!
    Putting it aside for a break is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never ceases to amaze me that the pattern companies don't give us some options in the patterns like bigger/smaller cup sizes or bigger sleeves. I know some of them do offer different cup sizes on some of their patterns but they should do it for all of them. It would make dressmaking so much easier!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)