Wednesday, 20 March 2013

placemats

I decided to make us some new placemats for our dining room table. I wanted to use up some of the 2½" squares I had left over from Joanna's Great Granny Square quilt so I dug them out and played around with them.

Here's the first placemat under construction.

Since I took this photo, I've sewn the rows together on this one and pieced another one as well.

I did have to cut out a few more squares as I wanted each placemat to be made of 48 different squares but I used my Go! cutter so cutting out about 50 squares took very little time at all. I have the remaining 4 placemats all pinned and ready to sew so the sewing, quilting and binding of them all should keep me out of mischief over the next few days. :o)

8 comments:

  1. Those will sure be cheerful placemats. That GO cutter sounds like a big timesaver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. The Go! cutter is definitely a timesaver - and maybe a bit of a time-waster as well as I tend to play with it quite a bit! :oD

      Delete
  2. They are going to be great and I have some leftovers from a jelly roll that I might use for same. Won't be as dramatic. I'm interested in seeing your Go cutter and how it works. Anything that is easy on my hands is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and do a post about my Go cutter soon, Susan. It was expensive but I don't regret buying it for one minute. :o)

      Delete
  3. What a good way to use up squares! If the weather is as bad as forecast, I think I will be spending the weekend in the studio, keeping warm and sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that your area was mentioned on the news, Anne, and wondered how you were doing. Keep cosy!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe I posted a comment yesterday and it disappeared into the never, never.
    It's a great idea for the placemats and I have some pieces from a jelly roll that would look good. I am interested in your Go! cutter, as it sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first comment got dumped in the spam folder, Susan. I have no idea why!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)