Wednesday, 20 February 2013

the end is nigh!

I'm nearing the end of the Great Granny square quilt that I'm making for Joanna. I've spent the last few days putting together the last 7 squares:

I then arranged them on our bed with some blue for sashings and some blue flowery squares for corner stones on the middle 4 blocks.

After I'd finished sewing those sashings on, I decided that I wanted cornerstones on all the corners so that's what I spent this afternoon doing and this is what I've ended up with.

When it was laid on the bed without the blue sashings - no photos of that stage, for some reason - I must admit I thought "meh". It really wasn't anything special at all. But now? I *love* it! And, more importantly, so does Joanna!

I've got a nice piece of bright pink fleece in my cupboard that I'm going to use instead of wadding and a backing - got to love being able to use something else that's been lying around for years (and years and years)! The end of the quilt is most definitely nigh. :o)

11 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, the colours turned out delightful! Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it. It all goes together beautifully. The bright pink fleece backing sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blue sashing really does make the difference. I think it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous, it's going to look fab when it's finished. I love the welly boot fabric, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a happy quilt......... Aren't finishes just the best?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fabulous - and what a lot of work, piecing all those blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cornerstones definitely add the perfect finishing touch to the sashing. Love it! And I think fleece will make a great backing. :)

    (Look at that, I just learned two quilting terms thanks to your post. Makes me want to make one myself. That and the fact that my boys were just handed down a Thomas the Tank Engine quilt that looks really cute and comfy.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just a gorgeous quilt ! I hope to make something that involves quilting soon, but I have to get around to sit down in front of my sewing machine first !

    I love Scotland, been there 4 times already !
    xEva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I never knew what a sashing or a cornerstone was until now - what incredible things they are! They really pull the quilt together - it looks absolutely gorgeous and I'm sure it will be treasured - lucky Joanna x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is stunning! The blue sashing certainly does set the blocks off, and it ties it all together too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)