Wednesday, 27 February 2013

making labels and making progress

I was down to my last few tartan bee labels so I made some more today.

I made my labels in Photoshop and printed them out on to t-shirt transfer paper, cut the paper into strips and then ironed them on to some cotton tape. Then, after they're cool, I cut them apart.

I made 96 labels so that should last me for a wee while.

When I dug out the fuchsia fleece last week for Joanna's quilt, I remembered the green fleece with red hearts that Santa Claus brought me. My head starting whirling with ideas of what I could use it for and one idea took root. Why not use it on the back of the Christmas quilt?

Perfect! So, today, I pinned the patchwork top and the fleece together ready for quilting.

I decided that diagonal lines were the way to quilt this one.

Then I wondered what to use for the binding. Then I remembered that I'd only used 36 of the 42 squares from the layer cake so I took 4 of the ones that were left and cut them into strips and joined them together in one long strip.

Now the quilt is all trimmed and ready for binding. Go me! :o)

11 comments:

  1. Wow that is gonna look fantastic! That fleece was a great idea for the backing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Softie. It was amazing how it all just seemed to fit together!

      Delete
  2. Love your labels!
    Your christmas quilt is lovely, great idea to use the leftover layer cake squares for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still so impressed that you are working on your Christmas quilt... looks like it will be lovely... and I love your labels, I so have to get mine made... still not a priority yet! Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had intended leaving the quilt until November but then the fleece for the backing idea hit me and I just had to do get on with it.

      Delete
  4. Oh your a star. I've used the t shirt paper to make other types of fabric but it never occured to me I could make my own labels. Thanks for sharing this. The Christmas quilt has some lovely fabrics, can't wait to see the end result.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a cool idea on how you make your labels. Can't believe you are always busy on Christmas stuff. My brain is around Spring and maybe Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was not suppose to be "always busy" it should read "already busy".

      Delete
  6. I'm not really thinking about Christmas - I'm not that organised! I just wanted to get this quilt finished so that I can get on with other things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)