Tuesday, 1 January 2013

sunrise ~ sunset figures for 2012

This is a summary of the sunrise ~ sunset posts for 2012. I'll be taking down the page where I posted all of these so I wanted to put them in a post so that, if I felt the urge, I could look back and see them.

Here are just some of the facts of the figures.

Summary of sunlit hours figures for 2012
Longest day - 21 June:
dawn to dusk = 19 hours 46 minutes
sunrise to sunset = 17 hours 39 minutes

Shortest day - 21 December
dawn to dusk = 8 hours 31 minutes
sunrise to sunset = 6 hours 55 minutes

Difference in sunlit hours between the longest day and the shortest day:
dawn to dusk = 11 hours 15 minutes**
sunrise to sunset = 10 hours 44 minutes**

Biggest increase per week - dawn to dusk
16 - 23 April = + 37 minutes

Biggest increase per week - sunrise to sunset
every week in March and 9 - 16 April = + 33 minutes

Biggest decrease per week - dawn to dusk
13 - 20 August = - 35 minutes

Biggest decrease per week - sunrise to sunset
27 August - 3 September, 10 - 17 September, 1 - 8 October = - 33 minutes

**That is a HUGE difference in daylight hours!!!

1 comment:

  1. Funny but I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how much daylight/dark you were experiencing this time of year. What a difference between midsummer and midwinter too!

    Happy new year to you, Anne!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)