Sunday, 6 January 2013

3 things

I don't make New Year's resolutions because I know myself well enough to know I'd probably have given up on them before the end of January - if I got that far. This year, though, I really want to challenge myself to do just 3 things.

Thing 1 - do not buy magazines.

No matter what the "free" gift is on the outside! They are, in my humble opinion, a *real* waste of money. I just went through a pile of old magazines last week and pulled out the articles I wanted to keep. I went through 8 magazines and kept 4 things - a recipe, 2 bag patterns and a tutorial for how to make a footstool. 4 things out of 8 magazines? That's ridiculous! And, I added up what those 8 magazines had cost - nearly £40. That's even more ridiculous. No more!

Thing 2 - use what I have.

I'm going to try really hard not to buy things like fabric, yarn and haberdashery unless I really need them. And, let's face it, with the stash of all of those things that I already have, I don't think I'll "really need" anything for a good wee while. This is how the fabric stash looked last February. It's a wee bit more full now than it was then! *blush*

Having said that, if there's some fabric in the remnant box that I know I can make into something and sell (for a good profit), I'll probably buy it but I won't buy things on impulse. Or I'll try.

Thing 3 - I'm going to do the "52 weeks of happy" thing.

I've seen this on a few blogs recently but the original idea was posted here. Basically, every week, you post 4 photos of things that have made you happy in the last 7 days. I'm looking forward to seeing what I come up with.

Somehow I think the last one will be the easiest one to do but then, it's not a challenge if it's not challenging, eh? Wish me luck! :o)

8 comments:

  1. The 52 weeks of happy idea is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magazines are a waste of money... Part of thereason I'm keen to get back in the blogging habit is to replace them. With hints and patterns along with masses of inspiration, they are a friendly and frugal source of pleasure!
    52 weeks of happy is a cracking idea. Looking forward to that! And thanks for the brownie link. The Princess will be baking tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Angel Jem. Blogs are just like magazines - inspirational but without having to spend money on them!

      I hope Princess enjoys making the brownies. :o)

      Delete
  3. I like your challenges, Anne... very do-able! Looking forward to seeing your "happy" photos...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about magazines, but my latest post is about one I've just bought, oh dear. I actually did really well last year, I must have saved myself quite a bit of money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing well not buying magazines (although I do have subscriptions to two!). But I have a pile on the floor beside the couch that I still haven't finished reading, although they must have been there for a month, and I have dozens in the studio, will all sorts of things that I say I'm going to make! I'm going to try hard to have a year of "using it up", and only buy fabric if I need it to finish a quilt. Maybe we can keep each other on the straight and narrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to confess to being a bit of a magazine addict, but am also trying to cut down a bit this year. You are so right though as I devour them, pull out a couple of things (maybe) and then pop them in the recycling bin. Money in the bin!
    Thanks for the link to the original 52 weeks of happy post - I too have seen it around and about, and think I'm going to join in this year too.
    Have a happy week,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - how tidy does your fabric pile look!?! I might try the 52 things, too. That's a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)