Wednesday, 21 November 2012

a quilt for baby Emmy

I had another present to make for a new baby girl - Emmy - and I just kept putting it off. Why? Well, to be honest, I just didn't want to make another owl. I wanted to make a baby quilt instead. So, what was the problem with that?

Well, Emmy is the second baby in the family and I made a quilt for the first baby - Lucy - when she arrived. Anyway, I'm sure Lucy would rather Emmy had her own quilt rather than have to share her quilt with her new baby sister. I talked it over with Douglas and he said to make the quilt - much more useful than an owl! So that's what I'm doing.

The quilt is made of 4½" squares in a 13 x 13 square. It will end up around about 52" square which means I won't need to add borders. Yay!!

Here are the 169 squares I cut out yesterday afternoon and this morning. (Thank goodness for my Go! Cutter!!)

Then I placed them on our bed to see how they looked.

I think I only moved 3 squares before I decided to just go with it as it was! I mean, it's meant to be random so why spend hours rearranging the randomness?

Here are rows 1 to 10 all sewn together.

I hated having to stop with only 3 rows left to sew but I know, if I kept going, I wouldn't be able to move tomorrow far less sew. Here are the 3 rows I have left to do.

I'm hoping to get those put together tomorrow and maybe make a start to sewing the rows to each other. Fun! :o)

3 comments:

  1. That's going to be one sweet quilt and I'm sure Emmy will treasure it for many years to come. I love the randomness of it too, makes it truly unique. Enjoy sewing today!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt! Another project I would love to do, if only my little guy would give me the time. :) I was thinking the other day how it is sad that there are no great-grandmas and grandmas that quilt in my family anymore an that my little guy won't be getting handmade blankets as he grows up. We do thankfully have a knitting grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scrappy quilts like that ..... and I agree that you are better to leave well alone when you arrange the squares, oor you could spend all day rearranging them!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)