Sunday, 8 July 2012

the quilting has begun - and ended!

I've been busy over the last few days quilting the FW blocks. First of all I couldn't decide how to quilt them - did I want them all the same design and, if so, what? It wasn't going to be easy to find something that would work on all the blocks as they're all different in the way they're made up. What I mean by that is - some are based on 3 x 3 blocks, some 4 x 4, some 5 x 5 and some aren't based on anything remotely like that so how was I going to find something that would suit them all?

I did contemplate doing spirals but decided it would be too much like hard work to get said spirals all looking the same so I abandoned that idea verrrrrry quickly! :oD

Then, it struck me. I just had to quilt whatever each individual block "told me". In other words, I just had to do whatever fitted with the block I was sewing at the time. I'm glad I did that because it made the quilting far less stressful.

Here are just a few. I had 5 colours of Gütermann Sulky variegated quilting threads in my threads boxes so I made good use of those.

I've actually quilted them all now - yay! - so next is the trimming to size. I can't quite make up my mind how I'm going to do that. Part of me says just use the overlocker to trim them down but, what if I do that and they're not all the same size? Maybe I should trim them all to the same size using a ruler and cutter and then overlock them to keep the edges together? Or trim them and sew around the edges with the sewing machine? Ach, I'll decide tomorrow! :o)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Love the ways you've quilted these blocks! Great idea!

    *applauding*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! It's going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know much about quilting at all since I don't sew, but your squares sure are pretty! Good luck with the next phase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quilting each square freeform is awesome...I love how it's turning out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)