Monday, 30 April 2012

more FW blocks and a poem

I'm now at the stage where I want to get this quilt finished. You know the feeling - I'm over halfway through so it's time to move on faster so I can get on to the next one - whatever that might be. I was thinking about this today whilst I was sewing the next few blocks and I realised that I do the same thing for a lot of things - crochet blankies, books and holidays to name but a few. Over halfway through any of those things and I'm eager to get finished so I can start the next thing. Do other people do this as well or is it just me?

Anyway, here's the next set of FW blocks:

Linoleum:

How could someone who lives in Kirkcaldy not do the block called "Linoleum"? In case you don't know the answer to that, Kirkcaldy is famous for (long ago) being the centre of the manufacturing of linoleum. Also, because of the linseed oil used to make linoleum, the town was equally famous for being smelly. It was especially true when you approached the town in the train because there were linoleum factories around the station at that time.

As schoolchildren, we all learned this poem about a wee boy coming to Kirkcaldy in the train to visit his Granny. I really hope the children nowadays still have to learn it. :o)

The Boy in the Train

Whit wey does the engine say 'Toot-toot'?
Is it feart to gang in the tunnel?
Whit wey is the furnace no pit oot
When the rain gangs doon the funnel?
What'll I hae for my tea the nicht?
A herrin', or maybe a haddie?
Has Gran'ma gotten electric licht?
Is the next stop Kirkcaddy?

There's a hoodie-craw on yon turnip-raw!
An' seagulls! - sax or seeven.
I'll no fa' oot o' the windae, Maw,
Its sneckit, as sure as I'm leevin'.
We're into the tunnel! we're a' in the dark!
But dinna be frichtit, Daddy,
We'll sune be comin' to Beveridge Park,
And the next stop's Kirkcaddy!

Is yon the mune I see in the sky?
It's awfu' wee an' curly,
See! there's a coo and a cauf ootbye,
An' a lassie pu'in' a hurly!
He's chackit the tickets and gien them back,
Sae gie me my ain yin, Daddy.
Lift doon the bag frae the luggage rack,
For the next stop's Kirkcaddy!

There's a gey wheen boats at the harbour mou',
And eh! dae ya see the cruisers?
The cinnamon drop I was sookin' the noo
Has tummelt an' stuck tae ma troosers. . .
I'll sune be ringin' ma Gran'ma's bell,
She'll cry, 'Come ben, my laddie',
For I ken mysel' by the queer-like smell
That the next stop's Kirkcaddy!

by Mary Campbell Smith

BTW - linoleum is still made in Kirkcaldy but not to the same extent and, I'm happy to report, that the town no longer smells! :oD

2 comments:

  1. I love that poem! My favourite bit is: "The cinnamon drop I was sookin' the noo has tummelt an' stuck tae ma troosers..." Bwa ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I get the same way with cooking projects - ready for the next, lol. What a great poem. I got the most of it, but this phrase "Its sneckit, as sure as I'm leevin'." ? What's sneckit? I'm guessing it means latched or locked, but...?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)