Tuesday, 24 April 2012

a couple of blocks and a new book

I made 2 more Farmer's wife blocks today:

Evening star:

And Windows:

That's me made all the ones I cut out last week so I now need to cut out some more. That'll be on tomorrow's list - after my visit to the dentist. Blech!

I was really excited over the weeknd when I got an e-mail from Amazon telling me that the Nora Roberts book I'd ordered last November - The Last Boyfriend - would be with me more quickly than they'd thought. Instead of arriving on the 1st of June, it would now arrive between April 21 and 23. Woohoo!

I quickly started re-reading the first in the series - The Next Always - so I could remind myself of all the characters and how I felt about them. I knew I wouldn't get it read in time but that's okay. I could tease myself just knowing the new book was here and waiting for me to devour it!

Well, the book came yesterday and I unwrapped it quickly.

But wait. What's this? The edges of the pages don't look very good. Clearly they haven't been cut properly.

I was soooooooo disappointed. I immediately went to the amazon site and clicked through my order to re-order another one so I could send this one back only to find - "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." Drat, drat and double drat. There were other options available but I'd have to pay more and wait longer. What to do??

I sent an e-mail to amazon through their site telling them my sorry tale and asking them what they could do about it. I got a reply saying they would usually have sent me a replacement book but they had no stock. If I wanted to, I could keep checking the site and when they had new stock in, I could get a new copy for no additional cost. Brilliant ... but how long will this take? They have no idea! :o(

The thing is, the book is for me to read. It's not like I'm ever going to sell it so does it matter that the pages are badly cut? Well, yes and no. I do want a perfect copy of the book but I also want to read the book. Desperately! :oD

I'll just keep reading the first one and, if they don't get any more stock in before I'm ready to start the new one, I suspect I'll just accept the bad edges and read it as it is. I can't wait to see what happens! :o)

5 comments:

  1. I love the evening star block. The fabric reminds me of fabric I used to make a nursing top, oh so many years ago ;-) I think I used scraps as a baby garment but I don't remem.......oh yea I do. I made a cute little dress for my dd from the scraps. With white trim. Of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually believe the pages for any replacement book will also look like that. I read the Bride Quartet last summer and each book as it was released look the same - I'm not sure if they're going for that look or what, but what I've seen of new books has been consistent. My co-worker was recently reading book 1 of the Boonsboro Inn series and it looked the same as well! Seems to me it's just how the publisher is printing her new books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum, all of my books in the Bride Quartet are cut like that! It's not a defect it's just a fancier look I guess! Weird!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your will power! I couldn't stand to have the new book in my house and not read it, strange pages or no.

    I've re-read the first and am anxiously awaiting the new one!

    ~Zanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess my first question is why the heck did it take so long to get this book if you ordered it in November.... and the other one.... why not for your fancy Kindle? Then no page worries at all. : ) Les

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)