Sunday, 19 February 2012

fruit loaf

I got a very lovely e-mail today from Jan in Illinois. She had come visiting from Pammy Sue's blog and she stayed and read some of my blethers. She asked me if I had ever posted a recipe for the fruit loaf I had shown (way back in 2010!) and, to be honest, I was surprised that I hadn't. So, for Jan, and anyone else who's interested, here's the recipe.

Belgian Loaf

Put into a pan and bring to boil:
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup sultanas or raisins (I believe, in the US, what we call "sultanas" are called "golden raisins"?)
4 oz marg
and leave to cool.

Add:
2 cups plain flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 egg

Mix well. Put into a 2lb loaf tin and bake at 180ºC/350ºF for 1 hour.

I have no idea why this recipe is called "Belgian Loaf". I asked mum, who gave me the recipe, and she hadn't a clue either! :oD

I'll have to dig through some of those old birthday tea posts and see if there are any other recipes that I missed. If there are, I'll dig them out and post them soon. :o)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Anne! I can't wait to try it. :)
    ~Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm - I'm quite hungry now. I could go for one of those double biscuits, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)